I dunno, it just seems to me folks are trying to find a way to bring their hustle and bustle work life mentality to the hills. Why would anyone want to hike 50-60 miles a day? If all they're trying to accomplish is to just cover as much ground as possible, stick to the shoulder of the road and just jog. Most of the places I would go to "get away" mean driving up into the hills somewhere, getting out of the truck, and hiking in just about any direction I choose for maybe a mile or so and I am in it. Running another 50 miles only gets me deeper in it, and means I have to then hike that far to get back out of it.

In this day and age, if you can't get in it without having to cover 50 miles on foot, then methinks you might be trying too hard. I ain't never been that ambitious about recreation. Maybe it is nice knowing for certain you can cover that much ground in a day if'n you really had to, but to do it just cuz it's something to do, that just don't make no sense...