You have to take into account the type of mentality the people who write these types of articles. They are the same people you see hiking in spandex shorts, a skintight tank top and a lightweight shoes. They don’t carry a fixed blade knife because they can see no conceivable situation where they could need one, most of them I have talked to wouldn’t even carry a SAK. They are like the group I passed coming down the mountain as they were going up. I was there for a day hunt and was leaving because of the nasty thunderstorm coming down the valley. I even told them (dressed like mentioned above). I was told thunderstorms didn’t pose a threat in the mountains at that time of the year. They were so sure of them self’s they wouldn’t even set up camp. Twenty minutes later dry in my truck I was wondering how they were doing and how metal-framed packs seemed a bad thing with all the lightning. They did seem less arrogant when I drove to where I had last seen them and found them huddled together. Some of them even said thank you for the ride to their vehicles below.