I'm going to have to read that article. That's bad advice to not have at least a small med kit, a map, some water, and a proper knife, even if just a Swiss Army type. A map can really save your butt by keeping you on course and preventing the need for other survival gear.

Now having said that, weight is very critical. I'm a very "be prepared" conscious person. I constantly struggle with the balance between being prepared and keeping the weight down. It's a tough balance. I do try to carry the minimum amount of water, within reason -- emphasis on reason. I do my homework and really evaluate my water needs, mileages, and where my next refill point is. I always carry a bit more than I think I'll need.

Now as to purification. There have been studies that have indicated that much of the water is still quite drinkable, particularly at higher altitudes, in the Western US. I read an article some time ago in the LA times about an MD who hikes and regularly samples water along his route. Conclusion? All drinkable. Let me add that I usually do carry a filter despite the extra weight and am very cautious about where I gather water. Nevertheless, there is a bit of overhype on the omnipresent necessity of water purifcation.