There is a reason why I consider picking on ultralighters an unfair activity- too many of them make it too easy. It's like hunting in a petting zoo. Of course, most ultralighters hike regularly marked trails in a temperate climates, that have lean-tos provided to them, and half the time, the the AT and PT are within walking distance of a town with ATMs, resturants and motels if the weather gets really bad.

I'm not saying it can't be done- I took the ditch kit out for the weekend. (Including an inch and half of rain on Saturday night- the contractor bag poncho works.) I was a little wet and chilly a few times, but I came out fine. But if I have to cut something from your list to make it lighter, I'm not going to switch to a razor blade and leave my multitool at home, or drink water straight from a beaver pond, bag that. If you want to cut snivel gear, leave the GPS with it's batteries at home, give away your scale, and learn to use a map and compass.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.