Being it's only me in my apartment at the moment it's much easier than it would be for most. My truck is already loaded up with tools, gear, food, water, and clothes.

Therefore, assuming I'm already dressed, I just need to grab my laptop, my safe, my school bag, and my boots/jacket (which are by the door). I could be out and on the road within five minutes.

I also make sure I always have at least a half a tank of gas, which would easily get me back to my parents house 200 miles away (even with a lot of traffic).

In my opinion, it's a good idea make up some kind of a bug-out kit with food, water, clothes, and other basics that you keep in the car. You might not be able to get to your house in an emergency, but your car is usually nearby. Keeping a kit in your car gives you two places (car and home) where you have basic supplies you can grab. That way you have what you need to survive time spent away from home.

Also, If I had it with me I would probably grab my dirt bike. If I got hopelessly stuck in traffic I could fill my backpack up with stuff, throw it on my back, and cut through traffic on the bike.