Natural selection once again thwarted by the dedication of SAR.

Seriously, after much soul searching (13 years of taking care of people who are at times hell-bent on self-destruction) I've come to the conclusion that we survive as a species because we do take care of each other (even the idiots).

It's in our nature to go to the aid of another human being no matter how stupid s/he is.

As an animal, we're slow, weak, got no fur, no claws, no armor, nothing. This big magnificent brain of ours isn't worth a hill of beans one-on-one with a cave bear.

Now you factor in some buddies willing to stick with you through thick and thin and they're relatively intelligent, the cave bear's got problems.

I have to keep reminding myself that by taking care of the self-destructive idiots I'm perpetuating the very trait that enables us to survive as a species.

Some days it's easier than others, and some days I want to say the heck with it and stand aside and let them destroy themselves.

But every so often, one claws himself out of the hole he's made for himself and straightens his life out.

Maybe one of these dingbats that got lost will pull their heads out of their rear or their kids may think, "dad's a dufus and I'm not going to get stuck like that again", and work to become a preparedness master and teach others.

I know, I'm the token idealist here, but it's a dirty job and someone's gotta do it.