Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hi OBG,

What is an ALICE pack like to carry and use?

The only military pack I have carried is the Canadian '82 pattern.

Mike

Having humped an ALICE around for the first few years of my service, I personally find it comfortable. Some aftermarket shoulder straps and belt (Tactical Tailor or Eagle) go a long way in improving the comfort of the pack. However the price of the new straps and belt exceed the price of the pack and frame. I really like the ALICE, I still have a medium ALICE that is currently in for some improvements/modifications at Tactical Tailor. With the price of the straps, belt, frame and modifications the price of the ALICE has skyrocketed, and I know from my research there are substantially better packs out there. I stick with the ALICE because it works for me, it's simple, durable and we have a long history together.

I will say, that I'm in the minority in the Marines who liked the ALICE, honestly, most hated it. When you utilize the frame the amount of internal cargo space you can use decreases substantially, perhaps by as much as a 1/3 of the volume without the frame. The frame itself, the middle vertical support is prrone to breaking at the top crossmember, especially when you throw it off of 7 tons or from frequent drops when there are halts on the hump. This is easily fixed with a bolt and nut though. I would have to say, if I never used an ALICE before I wouldn't spend your money on one, like others said, there are better packs out there for the $$$.

Edited by SSgt (09/22/07 07:51 PM)