Hey gang,

When you go out on a day hike, how much on average does your pack weigh?

I just went on a hike in Tunica Hills (S Mississippi)to break in my new pack and try to regain some sanity this weekend, and my pack weighed 19 pounds (including 3 liters of water). It felt comfortable with the weight carried on my hips. I barely felt anything on my shoulders.

I do tend to lean to the overkill end of the spectrum especially when compared to the adolescents romping around in the woods wearing bikini's and flipflops (playing in the waterfalls). shocked

As I was sprawled out on the trail trying to breathe (93 degrees and 78% humidity), I decided a reality check was in order. Was too exhausted to even enjoy the bikini's and flipflops. frown

I've already done an item analysis of each item carried on this trip and eliminated about 5 items, but experience screams at me to make an argument for each of the remaining items.

Though the experience of lying flat on my back sucking air while the ill-prepared (out in the woods without even a bottle of water) strolled past also screams at me. blush

There's a balance somewhere but I don't know where it is.