The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#300883 - 03/29/22 10:23 PM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Lithiums seem to work better when it's cold and they self-discharge at a negligible rate. Great for a light that might sit a long time.

#300888 - 03/31/22 04:28 PM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My experience has been like this:

* Low drain devices go through Eneloops far more quickly than Energizer Lithiums -- about three to one. This includes wireless game controllers and my wireless trackpad.

* High drain devices go through Eneloops somewhat more quickly than Energizer Lithiums -- a bit less than two to one.

* Eneloops self-discharge pretty quickly, losing perhaps half their charge in single-digit months. Energizer Lithiums read "full" after at least five years in storage.

* Eneloops are rated for 1900 mAh when new, Energizer Lithium AAs are rated for 3000 mAh.

I use Eneloops far more often than anything else in the AA form-factor, but I do that understanding the tradeoffs.

#300889 - 03/31/22 04:43 PM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You can obtain Eneloops at higher capacities. The highest I have is 2450 and they work quite well.

The point if recharging is that when they are drained, you simply put in your second set and pop the pooped out batts on the charger, powered by house current, vehicle , or solar panel or whatever, and pump them up.

You can do this conservatively for at least500 cycles, while you watch the savings accumulate.

Lithium primaries definitely do have their place, and i use them s well, but my workhorse batts are rechargeable nimH's or 18650's

#300892 - 03/31/22 08:25 PM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Last year the New York Times "Wirecutter" did side by side testing of rechargeable batteries. They concluded that AmazonBasics, Energizer Recharge Universal, and Eneloop were for the most part all roughly equal in performance.

The article may be behind a paywall. Here are a few quotes:
Quote:
In our testing, three brands of AA rechargeable batteries—the AmazonBasics AA, Energizer Recharge Universal AA, and Panasonic Eneloop AA—performed about the same. They will keep your lights lit and your clickers clicking longer, can be recharged thousands of times over, and are widely available and inexpensive. We think you should get whichever one of the three is cheapest at the time of checkout.
------------------------snip---------------
Though we couldn’t test how the batteries would perform years down the line, we did test how they held up to regular recharging. After draining and recharging a battery from each of our top brands 50 times, we found that all three brands had retained a lot of their capacity. In our testing, we measured capacities of 1,836 mAh (AmazonBasics), 1,833 mAh (Energizer), and 1,850 mAh (Panasonic) after 50 cycles.
The biggest differences showed up when we tested the batteries in real-world uses. Even though all three brands powered a flameless candle for 120 hours, or five days and nights, differences emerged when we tested them with a toy radio-controlled car. The AmazonBasics kept the RC car’s wheels turning for 17 hours, which is the longest of any batteries we tested—and much more time than anyone should ever spend continuously playing with a toy car. When we took the Energizer Recharge Universal AAs out for a spin, they kept their remote-control car racing for 16 hours, and the Panasonic-powered car lasted 15.5 hours.
----------------snip---------------
Our testing results for AAA batteries were not quite as neck and neck as those for AA batteries, but we still had a three-way tie between the AmazonBasics AAA, Energizer Recharge Universal AAA, and the Panasonic Eneloop AAA. The AmazonBasics AAAs outperformed most of the other models across the board, but the improvements were negligible. So if you need AAA batteries, we think your best bet is to get whichever of these three good options is the cheapest.

#300896 - 03/31/22 11:07 PM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Think most large brands have decent NiMh AA/AAA these days.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php

#300907 - 04/01/22 10:02 AM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Some bicycle tour dudes have even liked the IKEA rechargables.

#300908 - 04/01/22 10:49 AM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Ren Offline
Addict

If the IKEA batteries are made in Japan, they are made by Fujitsu in an ex-Panasonic (Eneloop) factory.

#300912 - 04/03/22 01:53 AM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Every battery has its own internal resistance. Think like speakers in your car radio (or other), 8 ohm speakers, 4 ohm speakers, etc and to get the most efficient system you have to match the speaker with the amp, i.e. 8 ohm speaker for an 8 ohm amp.
Same with batteries and loads. So the most efficient use of a battery will be the load that's closest to its impedance. So if different brands of batteries are constructed differently and have a different impedance than each may be different for the same device. Some batteries might work better with lights, others with remotes, etc. That's why you get such a variation. And I'm trying to over simplify so as to not write a novel

My own testing several years ago when eneloops were new, with the 2000mAh original version, ran my etrex at a bit over 23 hours and Energizer lithium around 24 hours. So close enough that there wasn't any benefit to using Lithium, and the cost benefit of using rechargeable is so much greater. However, I did only test indoor, just putting in a fresh pair of batteries, turning it on and setting a timer to check once an hour. Garmin published ~24 hour runtime so I started on a Saturday estimating about 8 hours before I'd go to bed then sleep for ~8 hours and get up Sunday morning at 16 hours in so I could check every hour until it died.
I suppose another test I could try with it in the refrigerator, though all my Eneloops are > 10 years old now so I expect they would also show reduced runtime.

So lights I may get different results due to factors like impedance matching, but at least with my GPS NiMH close enough to Lithium to just use them.

#301647 - 05/16/23 11:40 AM Re: Black Diamond Flare Headlamp? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Ren Offline
Addict

Just picked up an Acebeam H16. It's a 14500/AA (duel fuel) right angle/headlamp.

Pretty happy with it. Got the black anodized 519A Hi CRI 5000K version, max 650 lumen version.
No mechanical lockout, which is a shame, instead relies on a double click to turn on.

Simple (to me atleast) UI.

When off,
1) a double click to turn on. Press and hold to cycle through the 3 levels. (low/mid/high).
2) press & hold the button for .5s and it comes on in ultra low (5 lumens).
3) triple click for SOS

Single click to turn off.

Comes with a 14500, that you can plug a USB-C cable (a USB-A to USB-C cable is included) directly into to charge.

$34.99 on Amazon US. Currently has 20% off coupon.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 430 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.