Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#298007 - 01/09/21 12:32 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Two questions about the kit, Jeanette_Isabelle, if you could answer them.

What type of battery is used by the flashlight?

Is there a marking on the knife indicating what kind of steel it's made from?

This kit has come up before, and remember trying to identify a few of the components.
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=292475#Post292475

#298008 - 01/09/21 12:42 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The flashlight uses a single AA battery.

I can't find any information on the knife other than the Uncharted Supply Co. logo.

Jeanette Isabelle

#298013 - 01/09/21 09:34 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
When the kit was first being marketed I saw all of the videos the company filmed. My first thoughts were that they actually put some time, thought and effort into the kit and that I was not the target customer. It is clearly designed for folks that might be intimidated to build one from scratch looking for a turnkey solution. I'm a bit older and thus have a good amount of experience and a big pile of gear to assemble kits from. As hikermor says I prefer to build my own kits based on my skills, my needs and to suit my environment (SW Montana). So clearly what I need would be different than what Jeanette Isabelle needs (although there's some overlap in stuff like food, fire, etc).

That said the bag itself is pretty cool. It does appear that they designed the bag from the ground up and have it built for them unlike so many places that start with a generic $10 bag from China. I'm sure it's more expensive to design your own and have it built than to just buy a container of cheap ones.

#298017 - 01/09/21 04:46 PM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have profound reservations about the backpack, which is a the most significant part of the outfit, considering you will be wearing it most of the time. For one thing, it is just too small - 26 liters is barely adequate - 50 liters would more adequate.

No waist belt?? What were they thinking? Also the odd placement of the water bottle pocket - unbalanced and high, exactly where you don't want a heavy item like this to be. Place it low and centered.

you can go into any well equipped outdoor store and pick any number of packs which will be more suitable. The best stores will work with you on adjustments that will give a comfortable fit which you will appreciate after a day carrying the bag.

Yes, a better bag will cost more, but you will have a long future of useful service which quality gear provides. ultimately, good stuff turns out to be an outstanding bargain.

In critical spots, I have relied on quality gear to perform and have been thankful many times over that I spent the money. Finances mean less and less, the further you get into wild situations....

Of course, perhaps none of this is relevant to your situation. For whatever reason, you will not be walking long distances...In that case, almost any bag or container will do - just keep the individual weight reasonable

Edited by hikermor (01/09/21 04:53 PM)

#298020 - 01/09/21 08:14 PM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, for me personally I would go with an outdoors pack. Going beltless is, IMO, only an option if you keep the size small and the weight light. Even a small waist belt helps manage the load.

#298023 - 01/09/21 11:15 PM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

The custom bag probably accounts for the most significant portion of their costs, and I know they need to make a profit on this, so I don't want to knock it too hard given it's intended audience, and we've discussed this aspect in the past.

So, taking it for what it is without holding what it isn't against it, I think my biggest issue with this kit is that the form factor is a whole backpack... yet the shelter is essentially a disposable tube tent and space blanket. Things that would practically fit into a pocket.

Adding to that, the "a place for everything and everything in it's place" approach is really satisfying for those who enjoy organization, but the drawback is the space seems largely accounted for, and I don't know how much room the end user would have to continue using the bag with significant customization over time, such as adding their own shelter that might include a tarp, tent or hammock, bug net, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, spare clothes and socks, etc.

I suspect what would happen is the end user buys this because it's pretty cool, it sparks their interest, they start replacing components over time with better ones and eventually outgrow the bag entirely. That's precisely what happened with me and "personal survival kits"; I bought a pro force SAS tin, it sparked my interest in the subject, I started replacing components and eventually nothing of the original was left except the tin!

To be fair, they don't know the environment it will be used in, but I can't help but want more for the sort of end user who would buy it. Since they're not opposed to shopping for Chinese products (as evidenced by the knife and Sipik SK68 type flashlight), I would have liked to have seen the following options so the user could dial in their preference:

Minimalist Option
-15D 3F Sil Poncho that doubles as a tarp ($20 on Aliexpress)
-Lixada Sleeping Bag (Escape Bivy clone) ($18 on Aliexpress)

Hammock Option
-Hammock with Bug Net and Tarp ($28 on Aliexpress)

Tent Option (Premium with upcharge)
-3F UL Lanshan 1 PRO Tent (~$129 on Aliexpress)

Because each of these options have a reusable shelter, I think it would help kickstart their adventures and represent items they may hold onto and incorporate into future kits rather than end up being something that stays in the car like a roadside assistance kit.

I believe a headlamp would have been better than the flashlight for most users. You're more likely to break this thing out and grab the light so you can change your tire. The included flashlight is meh (I've had several over the years and none last long) and the focusing is a bit of a gimmick. Replacing the battery with a duracell is okay, but a lithium primary would have been better because it would nearly eliminate the potential of the battery leaking inside the light during long term storage, and would work better in cold environments ie, if they were storing the bag in their car in the winter.

As far as the knife goes, I don't know if they run into issues selling these in particular states due to their knife laws. If it wasn't an issue, a Mora (especially the light my fire model) would have been top notch for new users, still inexpensive, and serve them well even down the road.

I second the idea of a Ritter like PSK that you can slide into a pocket, and finally a cheap metal cup for the nalgene.

Edited by Burncycle (01/09/21 11:17 PM)

#298024 - 01/10/21 12:08 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: Burncycle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Burncycle
The custom bag probably accounts for the most significant portion of their costs, and I know they need to make a profit on this, so I don't want to knock it too hard given it's intended audience, and we've discussed this aspect in the past.

Yes, it looks like the bag is the biggest outlay of funds for the kit. Most of the contents seems to lean towards the cheap-and-cheerful end of the spectrum. Probably usable and useful but not best-in-class. Still if it's what you had you could probably make do. The target audience for this kit probably doesn't have anything better to compare it to.

Adding to that, the "a place for everything and everything in it's place" approach is really satisfying for those who enjoy organization, but the drawback is the space seems largely accounted for, and I don't know how much room the end user would have to continue using the bag with significant customization over time, such as adding their own shelter that might include a tarp, tent or hammock, bug net, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, spare clothes and socks, etc.

Yeah, going back to the idea of the target market I can see why they do it this way but you're spot-on; it doesn't seem like it will be easy to add much to the kit. And there seems to be a lot of organization that comes at the expense of useful space. You could probably dump the entire contents of the kit into a 20 L hiking backpack and have a good amount of room to spare.

I suspect what would happen is the end user buys this because it's pretty cool, it sparks their interest, they start replacing components over time with better ones and eventually outgrow the bag entirely. That's precisely what happened with me and "personal survival kits"; I bought a pro force SAS tin, it sparked my interest in the subject, I started replacing components and eventually nothing of the original was left except the tin!

That's probably true. A lot of folks will buy this and use it as a springboard into learning about preparedness. On the other hand a certain segment of folks will likely buy this, figure it makes them prepared, then toss it into storage and never use it. Certainly in my own case I bought a few smaller kits over the years which I later expanded, or parted out to make other kits. In that regard I think Doug's original PSP is fantastic foundation to build upon! I have at least five of them, some stashed as backups and others serving as a base for larger kits.

#298025 - 01/10/21 12:46 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
In fairness the knife is not completely terrible. A few months ago this image was posted on another forum.

Looks modern gear on the left, laser beacons, PLBs, LED beacons etc but that knife will be instantly recognisable for anyone that was a kid when Rambo: First Blood came out.

Was amazed they were still being made, but seems Walmart over there still sell them.

Here's what survival gear Alaska pilots are required to carry

Edited by Ren (01/10/21 12:47 AM)

#298027 - 01/10/21 02:22 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's a pretty comprehensive list of stuff! I can see the need for it in AK. Anyone would be wise to carry much of that stuff on any wilderness trip.

#298028 - 01/10/21 03:31 AM Re: Deconstructing the SEVENTY2 Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
The flashlight uses a single AA battery.

I can't find any information on the knife other than the Uncharted Supply Co. logo.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 353 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.