Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#293520 - 09/20/19 04:18 AM Re: MBTI personalities [Re: gonewiththewind]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The 5 factor model is:

Thanks Montanero
And thanks Naro for enriching the discussion.

I do believe the MBTI type changes a bit with age
I am now softer and warmer than I was in my younger years
A little bit like INFJ, but still predominantly INTJ, a wiser INTJ, I would say.

Reference to the 5 factor putting people in scales, some MBTI tests I have taken a few years back do in fact give you results like : 50% INTJ, 30% INFJ, 20% ISTJ. And I think it is a good way to describe a person more accurately.

#293522 - 09/20/19 08:33 AM Re: MBTI personalities [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Question to the psychological experts

Why is the MBTI so well known while the Big 5 Trait (or 5 factor model) is less mentioned around ?? Is it that MBTI is popular among the general public and the 5FM is more popular among professionals ???

#293523 - 09/20/19 11:06 AM Re: MBTI personalities [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I think I have mentioned in another thread that, a few years ago, I was so much disappointed in humanity that I had the EDC bag as my best friend !!! LOL. Just one example.

You may have mentioned that a few years ago. If you did, I'm sorry for forgetting.

I do know you brought it up earlier this month in the "Castaway" thread.

Edit: I found it. It is at least one of the posts in which you mention this.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256507#Post256507

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (09/20/19 11:33 AM)

#293524 - 09/20/19 11:23 AM Re: MBTI personalities [Re: Chisel]
NAro Offline
Addict

Chisel, that's sort of my take on this. The MBTI seems more in use in human resources and organizational situations. The evidence-based standard for psychometric instruments is more relaxed in those usages. In the Clinical and the Forensic arenas the empirical soundness of the instrument is more often challenged, so different instruments tend to be more accepted.

A major issue here, really (IMHO) is that our views about personality are constantly in flux. My perception is that there was a "medicalization" movement some years ago which popularized the concept of personality "disorders" and re-vitalized the notion of personality "types". With the last edition of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic manual the committee which was moving away from "disorders" and "types" ran into a political wall and was sidelined in favor of the "medical model" retaining the idea of "disorders" and "types." This wasn't science. It was ....something else.

Currently there is a very strong movement (which I believe will be codified in the next diagnostic manual) to the notion of "facets" or "traits"...newly named "dimensions." The Big 5, the NEO 5, and the PSY 5 all look at personality (even pathology) as a conglomeration of sliders along each of those scales.

Finally...(whew)... I have to defend my opinions and evaluations in highly contentious arenas (legal, Threat Assessment, etc.) and I never talk about personality types or personality disorders. Only varying degrees of the menu (of 5) of factors/traits.

#293530 - 09/20/19 02:41 PM Re: MBTI personalities [Re: NAro]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks NAro

Looks like my needs for analyzing people are much less critical than yours. Mostly I need to know people's personality in general in order to figure out how to best deal with them. Case in point, the narcissist personality. Although outside our discussion in this thread, and not part of the MBTI system, but learning about narcissism has greatly helped me sort things out and deal with things in much more relaxed manner. Very briefly, I was dealing with a covert narcissist and it made my thinking very blurred and blood pressure go through the roof. Now, it's behind me.

I would appreciate any further input about MBTI, and the Big 5 and where to use them best for an average guy.

Many thanks

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.