Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292027 - 03/20/19 06:58 AM Re: Hazards we face - What are the odds? [Re: haertig]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: haertig
... now it comes as a nasal spray. So it has gotten trivial to administer. If you need Narcan, you need it. If you don't, it doesn't hurt you.

But here's a bit of advice from my experience:

Once you administer the Narcan, step back. That way when the druggie wakes up abruptly (and they do!) and wants to smack someone in the face for ruining their high, you are out of reach. I have had several of these druggies lunge at me.

Ditto. My department did not issue Narcan, but the State Dept of Health had an evening instructional session, with a free pouch of Narcan in town. I thought it might be more useful at the soupkitchen where AuntGoo and I volunteer. The instruction took all of an hour, including discussion about all the social issues. Practical instruction consisted of "Squirt the stuff up their nose and jump back: if it's going to work, they're going to come up swinging. Have an ambulance on the way."
I have not used it, but was present when a co-worker did on an overdose. The instructions were accurate.

#292033 - 03/22/19 01:31 PM Re: Hazards we face - What are the odds? [Re: hikermor]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Alcohol, cars, stairs. All the 'normal' risks. What that National Safety Council list doesn't include are the 'Black Swans.' The low probability, high impact events - civil disorder, EMP, grid failure.

#292037 - 03/23/19 03:50 PM Re: Hazards we face - What are the odds? [Re: brandtb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The so called "Black Swans" just don't appear,although they have occurred - consider the civil unrest o the late 60's like the 1967 Detroit riots. There is always the possibility of a dinosaur killing, game changing event like a large asteroid impact, but this graph doesn't pretend to be a predictive model.

EMPs? People are killed by lightning strikes and similar phenomena all the time, but the overall numbers simply aren't that great, thus they are lumped in the "other causes" category. I must admit I am surprised at the relatively low number of firearm fatalities.

Day in and day out, the more common mechanisms of car accident, etc. are more likely to end your days than some exotic event. In either eventuality, a decent FAK along with the training and knowledge to employ it effectively will be useful.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.