Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291014 - 11/06/18 05:52 AM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: hikermor]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... Consider an actual WWII survival story-Poon Lim adrift for 133 days in the S Atlantic in 1942. He was the sole occupant of a life raft with food and water for 50 days, but did the rest of his stint surviving in rainwater and fish. ..

I learned the Poon Lim story after spotting a photo of him being presented with one of the first engineered US signal mirrors by the head of the US agency responsible for developing equipment for safety of life at sea, the Committee on Emergency Rescue Equipment.

Poon Lim Signal Mirror Presentation, Aug 1943

This news story describes Poon's technique for catching seagulls:

Article on Poon Lim Ordeal, Nov. 1943

There's a pretty good overview on Wikipedia:

Poon Lim article on Wikipedia

#291015 - 11/06/18 01:13 PM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: rafowell]
hikermor Online   content
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Great article, with many more details than the source I have. Ingenuity is a key ingredient in survival.

#291022 - 11/07/18 05:35 AM Re: Fowlers equipment for winning 'Alone'. [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Great Plains
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small

Like all the Survivorman episodes I've seen. Trying to survive in the wilderness seems to be basically a slow death sentence.&#65279;
qjs

To be fair though both shows had many arbitrary rules that a normal person would not have. On 'Alone' the contestants were pretty much assigned areas that they weren't allowed to leave. IRL you'd move to find resources. Also guns were not allowed and all game and fishing laws had to be observed. In a real survival situation you'd do whatever it takes to stay alive.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
3 registered (M_a_x, Pete, hikermor), 232 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale, rac
5267 Registered Users
Newest Posts
California Wildfires- Nov.
by Jeanette_Isabelle
0 seconds ago
I'm Not Coming Home
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 02:44 AM
A Tribute to Stan Lee
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 02:04 AM
fresh motivation to pack a "Go bag"
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
How Much is Too Much?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:04 PM
Anniversary
by haertig
Yesterday at 04:13 AM
RSK-G2
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 01:12 AM
Urban Prep Class at REI
by TeacherRO
11/12/18 08:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.