The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287250 - 12/03/17 02:21 PM "Climbing is Dangerous"
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
purchased some new commercially sewn slings the other day and discreetly sewn into them was a small tag with the date of manufacture, the European certification number, the strength rating (22kN-good!) and the notification which is the title of this thread. Who knew?

I am passing this info along to the members of this forum so that this vital knowledge will be more widely known...something to ponder when you are 100 feet out on a lead with no pro placed.

#287251 - 12/04/17 12:29 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
What, no eye protection required?

#287252 - 12/04/17 01:23 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Be sure to carry a condom.

#287253 - 12/04/17 01:58 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Condom was the ONE thing that wasn't on my climbing rack. It sure felt like every other piece of protection was there ... bulk and all.

Yes, Hikermor, I do remember those times when I was far out beyond my last piece of pro. And if I had fallen then, I would not be here now. Likewise for you - I am sure.

But apparently now they have indeed realized that climbing is dangerous. Well, let's see. A long, long time ago - about the time that the Matterhorn was first scaled - there was a Baron in Europe. Don't ask me his name. He surmised that there were only THREE real sports ...

Car racing
Mountain climbing
and Bull Fighting

because in these sports a man (or woman) stood an appreciable chance of being killed.

of course, the extreme adventure community has added a dozen more hobbies to the list by this time.

Pete

Edited by Pete (12/04/17 02:00 AM)

#287254 - 12/04/17 02:05 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If the tag had been written by liability averse corporate lawyers, it would require a small forklift to cart around.

Anyway, I dislike warning labels that are unclear. Climbing is not dangerous.

FALLING is dangerous. Therefore, avoid falling. (You may argue that landing, i.e., sudden deceleration, is even more dangerous, but it's a contiguous hazard.)

I won't comment particularly on condoms, but it's reasonable to assume there is a lot of pent-up nervous tension in base camp, whilst waiting for the weather to clear ...

#287255 - 12/04/17 04:30 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pete
A long, long time ago - about the time that the Matterhorn was first scaled - there was a Baron in Europe. Don't ask me his name. He surmised that there were only THREE real sports ...

Car racing
Mountain climbing
and Bull Fighting

because in these sports a man (or woman) stood an appreciable chance of being killed.

I was kind of curious about the identity of this baron, so I tried to look up the quote. People attribute it to Hemingway, although there is considerable doubt that he actually ever said anything like it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120203013838/http://www.timelesshemingway.com/content/quotationsfaq

Quote:
In July of 2006, Gerald Roush, a visitor to Timeless Hemingway, provided a possible source for the "three sports" quotation. He cited a story titled "Blood Sport" by Ken Purdy, which originally appeared in the July 27, 1957 edition of the Saturday Evening Post. The story is reprinted in Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles (1972). Gerald provided a scan of where the quotation appeared and it reads as follows: " 'There are three sports,' she remembered Helmut Ovden saying. 'Bullfighting, motor racing, mountain climbing. All the rest are recreations.' " Gerald noted that the character of Helmut Ovden is modelled after Ernest Hemingway. This could explain why the quote has been so widely attributed to Hemingway over the years.

Another search reveals the fictional character is Count Helmut Ovden -- so, yes, European nobility, although not a real one, but one from a writer's imagination.

#287257 - 12/04/17 08:17 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

That is just on the label, the booklet has a lot more warning signs!Some brands do have massive booklets that are sometimes heavier than the actual item you have bought.

#287272 - 12/07/17 05:27 AM Re: "Climbing is Dangerous" [Re: hikermor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Another search reveals the fictional character is Count Helmut Ovden -- so, yes, European nobility, although not a real one, but one from a writer's imagination."

Thank you.
I had no idea that Count Helmut was fictional.

OTOH - a Hemmingway quote ... I could believe.

Too bad, it was an interesting quote :-)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.