Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#285184 - 07/28/17 05:15 AM Re: Help for novel research.Bugging out from Manhattan [Re: wildman800]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: wildman800

High Point State Park Ranger Station, NJ

Thank you wildman800!

High Point State Park seems a very scenic location, and also strategic by being close to the Appalachian Trail. However, It's over 60 miles from Manhattan, a long walk for a city dweller. I'm beginning to think that the bike plot device is the best for my narration.

#285185 - 07/28/17 05:20 AM Re: Help for novel research.Bugging out from Manhattan [Re: CJK]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: CJK

Lesson learned......you go early....if you ar even aware of it.

Yes, time will be of the essence, especially for someone who knows things are likely to get worse.

Thank you.

#285186 - 07/28/17 05:30 AM Re: Help for novel research.Bugging out from Manhattan [Re: Mark_R]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

Select cell towers have battery backups. IIRC, Verizon is the best and AT&T is the worse. You will have between 2 and 8 hours if cell service after lights out.

That's extremely helpful, thanks.

Forget getting anywhere via car in an evacuation. The roads are going to be jammed untill well out into suburbia. A good plot point would be a pair of walking shoes for commuting, and dress shoes kept at the office. Less likely, but still feasible, are a nearby bike shop and a wad of cash, or membership in a sailing club.

Walking shoes and maybe a bike will be essential. I think a boat may appear a bit contrived, however. How many manhattaners sail regularly for sport? Are sailing clubs and marinas so common downtown? I assume you have to be fairly well-off to keep a boat anchored there.

There should be more then one rendezvous point. Places where one party can wait for the other one. Have character A check,the backup locations before circling back to the prearranged one and camping out in their truck.

Excellent idea, thanks!

#285187 - 07/28/17 05:38 AM Re: Help for novel research.Bugging out from Manhattan [Re: Eugene]
albusgrammaticus Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Eugene

I keep seeing this (mentioned in the other thread). Land lines are oversubscribed just like cell lines. Land lines are lower profit than cell lines and therefore get less focus. Land lines have not been reliable in years.

That's also my understanding. In Italy land line infrastructure have been crumbling for years for lack of use and maintenance. The only reason for people to keep a land line here is Internet connection, but that's not even my case. I live in a mildly mountainous area and my internet access is via wimax technoogy, with a small antenna dish pointed at a large array built on top of a nearby peak. A friend works for the company that manages the service and assured me that antenna relays have buckup batteries and generators, and could keep operating for hours after a power outage.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.