Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#283437 - 01/19/17 03:19 PM Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Get serious, who needs a toothbrush? From time to time, I have trimmed off clothing labels, drilled holes in various items, etc. I generally climb and cave in alpine, rather than expedition style, but going lightweight eventually runs into the law of diminishing returns and potential bad outcomes.

The trick is figuring where along the heavy/light spectrum a particular project falls, and equipping appropriately. I expect I will use these as containers for what I call my "core bags," equipment I can carry on fast and light excursions where I am not carrying a back pack, but toting enough that I can get through an unexpected night out.

#283439 - 01/19/17 04:42 PM Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm trying to see where color coded nylon pouches are an advantage over clear freezer weight ziploc bags. Color coding has obvious advantages in organizing opaque pouches that need a level of toughness not available in plastic ziploc bags. OTOH, transparent bags have the advantage of the user just seeing what is in the bag. Weight isn't the issue, I'm only concerned with function.

As for cutting toothbrushes and the like to reduce weight -- not happening. I like a real manly handle on my toothbrush, paracord wrapped so it fills my hand wink

#283440 - 01/19/17 05:05 PM Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Sounds like a "tactical toothbrush" Is there a carbide glass breaker on the end? Razor blade strap cutter within the handle?

One attractive feature of the pouch is the straps that will allow belt carry or attachment to the pack exterior, etc. The nylon should protect from brush and rough handling Hopefully I will be well versed on the pouch's contents....

#283446 - 01/19/17 08:35 PM Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear [Re: Russ]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
I'm trying to see where color coded nylon pouches are an advantage over clear freezer weight ziploc bags. Color coding has obvious advantages in organizing opaque pouches that need a level of toughness not available in plastic ziploc bags. OTOH, transparent bags have the advantage of the user just seeing what is in the bag. Weight isn't the issue, I'm only concerned with function.

As for cutting toothbrushes and the like to reduce weight -- not happening. I like a real manly handle on my toothbrush, paracord wrapped so it fills my hand wink

Color coding is useful for when you're trying to find a particular pouch in low light and/or in a hurry. I.e. the FAK is red, the fire/signal pouch is yellow, etc. Heavyweight poly bags are my go-to choice for when I'm staying in a hotel since I can find everything at a glance.

EDIT: Having a "shove it into whatever I'm carrying" mini-kit has proven quite handy over the years. I've found that pouches the size of an A5 sheet of paper, with D-rings and belt loops are quite versatile.

Edited by Mark_R (01/19/17 09:00 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283454 - 01/21/17 05:00 AM Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

My pouches arrived today and they are good. Seams are double stitched and the fabric, while not all that heavy, should hold up well. It should be easy to modify them, if desired. I could easily fit two of them on a belt. As it turns out, the belt strap spacing is compatible with molle rigs. I'll bet if you attach them to your mil spec gear, your sergeant will get a little grumpy, especially the red color.

#283612 - 01/31/17 04:50 PM Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm a big advocate of belt pouches and fanny packs - keeps gear close without overstuffing your pockets. Mountain Smith makes some nice, high end models

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.