Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#100101 - 07/18/07 01:47 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: MDinana]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Originally Posted By: MDinana
[quote=BigCityHillbilly]

A teacher once told me a trick used with black powder rifles: wipe the oil off the crease of your nose (the outside, where the nostril meets your cheek). While he was talking about moistening the patch for the powder and ball, it might work well. After all, lots of guys make plenty of oils (NOT Sweat!!).

Another thought would be an to wipe an oily plant leaf on it. Not sure I can think of any, but just brain-storming here.

I like the other trick my father told me you could do to clearn the barrel ot is to pi$$ down the barrel while the barrel was still hot.

Use to use the same nose oil trick to prevent metal ferrals on a fishing rod/pole from sticking together.
cheers

#100102 - 07/18/07 01:55 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: atoz]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...to pi$$ down the barrel..."

So many things come to mind, I'm afraid to even go there!

I too used the nose oil on my fishing poles. Works like a champ...

#100104 - 07/18/07 02:02 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: Frank2135]
atoz Offline

PJ cottonballs are just modern day char cloth.

It is amusing that the old flint, real cryptocrystalin quartz, and steel, usually made from an old file grade steel, is thought to have any superiority to modern methods. The flint and steel method is only good a technique if you are a mountain man period enactor. Or if your lost in the woods with no better method to start a fire, but it seems to require char cloth to start a fire in all instances I have seen. Not sure how hard it is to do without char cloth.
cheers

#100137 - 07/18/07 08:56 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: MDinana]
ibfestus Offline
stranger

I use lint from the clothes drier filter to catch the spark. I keep a zip lock bag in my BOB with the mag block, lint, mini magnifying glass, and of course a couple of Bics just in case.

#100146 - 07/18/07 11:33 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: atoz]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:
I have used a surgical blade with great success to make a fine shower of sparks, the blade is 440 stainless steel, as well as the blad off a swiss army knife. Both thes work better then the back of my Mora knife or other carbon steel knife.

Hint: use a file to square off and sharpen the edge of your Mora blade. I purchased a Mora just last week and was shown this technique. With the factory edge, the sparks were merely OK. With the sharpened edge, the sparks were plentiful and larger. Hint came courteous of Mors Kochanski.

#100160 - 07/19/07 01:37 AM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: atoz]
John Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: atoz
PJ cottonballs are just modern day char cloth.

It is amusing that the old flint, real cryptocrystalin quartz, and steel, usually made from an old file grade steel, is thought to have any superiority to modern methods. The flint and steel method is only good a technique if you are a mountain man period enactor. Or if your lost in the woods with no better method to start a fire, but it seems to require char cloth to start a fire in all instances I have seen. Not sure how hard it is to do without char cloth.
cheers

Actually, in my opinion, the level of ease depends on the materials in your tinder bundle. With the right material using flint & steel (or a fire bow, or a fire saw, or a fire piston) without char cloth can be very easy. With the same materials, char cloth just makes it easier. So, one can be easy, and the other is simply easier than something that is already easy. Of course, without the right materials in your tinder bundle using a char cloth can also be next to impossible. If you are out in the wild and don't have access to char cloth, your best bet is tinder fungus, which usually found on birch trees.

As for the uses of flint & steel, I'd agree with your statement. Odds are that you will never need it in a survival situation and it is often, when compared to modern techniques, very inefficient. But, it is knowledge that could come in handy. And, I personally think it is a ton of fun to try and master these old techniques.

Take care and have a great day....

ciao,
john.

#100348 - 07/20/07 10:00 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: ibfestus]
atoz Offline

I would think everything else was just in case the BIC did not work not the other way around.
cheers

#100350 - 07/20/07 10:45 PM Re: Starting fires by the flint and steel method [Re: atoz]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: atoz
I would think everything else was just in case the BIC did not work not the other way around.
cheers

My bic is for emergencies when I need fire quick or when I need to only use one hand for some reason. I normaly use my flint normaly.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.