Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99875 - 07/15/07 02:17 AM Trangia super burner mod
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I admit it, I love my Trangia burners. And I love messing around with what most people would describe as junk.

The other day, I noticed a similarity in size between the bottoms of a Trangia and the top of a 5 ounce can. Checking, I discovered that the can, when emptied and cleaned, is a perfect fit. Ideas!

First idea is that it could be used to hold my brew kit. Not a bad idea- the stove fits in a GSI or Olicamp cup for a Nalgene, put a couple of tea bags, some lemon, and some sugar in the 5oz can, and slide a water bottle on top. Not bad, could be better.

Idea two, use the can as a windscreen. Drilled two rows of 1/4" holes at one inch interval around a third of the can, one row offset from the other. Set it on the burned when it is going, let it run with a pot on top. Snuffed the flame.

Idea 2.1, go all the way around with the holes, use it as a pot stand. Still snuffs the flames. frown

Idea 2.2, add a ring of smaller holes at the very top of the can. Test burn at an 1/8th of an inch... it's ok. Open them up to 3/16th, as large as I can go with the test piece.

Light the burner. Set the stand on top. In a minute, it's HOT, a flicked drop of water blasts to steam almost instantly. Put the pot on top. The flames are still going... At about three minutes, I hear what sounds like a bunsen burner!

It seems that the alcohol vapor was building up until it was able to burn through what had once been intended as air holes. It brought a pint of water from simmering uncovered to a rolling boil in about another minute. I've had a boil, but never a rolling boil, from a trangia!

I tried it again with a liter of slightly cooler than room temp water in a bigger pot. Oh, oh wow- boiling in about five and a half minutes, roaring like a baby jet engine. Not tea water hot, not simmering, still not yet a rolling boil, but a sterile-not-pasturized, little bubbles in a steady stream boil. (OK, sometimes I get happy from the littlest things.)

Oddly, it won't reach this point without having something on top of it to weigh it down. I'm guessing it's a vapor pressure thing? But once it is going, as you can see, it stays lit.

This is how it looks nested:

It adds about a 1/3 of an inch to the height of the stove. I'm thinking that I'll actually wait until I have another can, and try doing the top burner ring, with a partial set of lower air holes. But this guy is going in my kit for now. Combined with the coffee can stove systemI've used, this should have some really impressive improvements over just the trangia.

And I'm also going to try nesting these this winter, using an unholed can packed with insulation, as a base to keep the fuel from cooling.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99881 - 07/15/07 02:41 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: ironraven]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
what 5 oz can did you use? looks usefull and a nice idea.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#99883 - 07/15/07 03:18 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: leemann]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Hormel chunked ham. Yummy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99885 - 07/15/07 03:23 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Does it come in deviled???

#99889 - 07/15/07 04:24 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Not in this size. :P But you could use any 5 or 5.5oz can, they are all pretty similiar in size.

#99902 - 07/15/07 06:42 PM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

have you tryed the Swedish Army Trangia burners??
they are somewhat larger and in the cook kit with the
windshield that is made for the smaller burner the army
one will bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.it however
will not fit in the space for the small burner and has to
be set on the ground....i'm still working on a way to fit
the big one in without cutting the windshield up..

#99914 - 07/15/07 08:06 PM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: CANOEDOGS]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I was thinking of getting a trangia and using it in an Ikea cutlery drainer. A couple of tent pegs will hold up a can lid to serve as a base. Another couple of tent pegs above will hold a coffee can/billy can.

The can lid can also be deployed when using solid fuel tabs. And the drainer can be used with natural fuel like kindling size wood and pine cones.

And they all nest together. I am pretty certain the trangia will fit in there too.

#99932 - 07/16/07 02:22 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

My three are all supposed to be German army surplus, but they are marked as for Swedish military equipment. *shrugs* I don't care were they came from, I'm not parting with them. Not even the flaky one I use for testing this stuff that has a dead quarter. :P

#99935 - 07/16/07 03:08 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

you can open that "dead quarter" by clearing out the holes
with a paper clip..this is per "oop's" at "classic camp stoves"
who seems to know just about everything about ETOH stoves..

#99940 - 07/16/07 03:47 AM Re: Trangia super burner mod [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Tried it, doesn't change it. frown

Only way I can get it work is to squirt a little bit of fuel into each hole, then they work fine. That's why it is my test bed rig, not in my kits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.