Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#99800 - 07/13/07 01:49 PM Re: Snake Bites (Sawyer Extractor) works or not [Re: hazeywolf]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: hazeywolf
"The Sawyer Extractor pump removed bloody fluid from our simulated snakebite wounds but removed virtually no mock venom, which suggests that suction is unlikely to be an effective treatment for reducing the total body venom burden after a venomous snakebite."

This study is interesting, but it raises more questions than it answers. They can't conclude that the Extractor is ineffective, just that it is ineffective after 3 minutes. I wonder what the results would be if it was applied within seconds of the "bite". You would think that they would have tested several different intervals like the bee sting study mentioned here recently.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#99816 - 07/13/07 05:06 PM Re: Snake Bites (Sawyer Extractor) works or not [Re: Arney]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Arney
Here's a disturbing stat--about 3,000 of those 7,000 bites happened when someone was handling or otherwise bothering a snake. Most of these bites occured on the hands and forearms. Most bites that occurred when the person was just minding their own business occur below the knee. I'm not sure how they define these groups, but it sounds like almost 40% of snake bites could be avoided if people did not try to handle a snake or just left them alone. It's gotta be partly how they define these terms because I find it hard to believe that so many people would want to try and grab a snake with their bare hands.

i had the pleasure to hear dr. findlay russell, reknowned herpetologist of the los angeles county - university of southern california - medical center, speak several times in the 80s. he's since left there. an excellent speaker and funny!

he quoted statistics - i don't remember the exact numbers so i can't quote them exactly - but as i recall, people who get snake bit on the hands / fingers are overwhelmingly male, under the age of 30 (perhaps 25?), have tatoos (!?), and have a blood alcohol level that would get them arrested if they were driving.

which explains arney's "hard to believe" sentence.

#99863 - 07/14/07 10:08 PM Re: Snake Bites (Sawyer Extractor) works or not [Re: NightHiker]
hazeywolf Offline

Where did you encounter information about the Extrator decreasing the spread of venom via negative pressure? I can't imagine the physics of that ever being effective.

Contrary to your opinion, Sawyer markets its device as a venom extractor: "The Extractor Pump is an easy to use suction pump which can safely and quickly remove significant quantities of venom (poison) or irritants from bites and stings."

Sawyer also claims the device to be scientifically validated:
"The Sawyer Extractor Pump is the only kit proven scientifically to remove significant quantities of venom from Snake Bites. Scientific research also proves the Sawyer Extractor Pump removes poison when treating bee stings. It also removes saliva and anticoagulants from mosquito and tick bites."

I've found no scientfic or medical evidence that the Sawyer Extractor is effective, only reports that are contrary to the Sawyer marketing claims. I intend to contact Sawyer directly form more information.

You're right to suggest that one must be wary of junk science (as the WMS study may be), but to casually disregard scientific and medical research and rely on anectdotal evidence and heresay is contrary to common sense and dangerous.

The WMS notification about the ineffectiveness of the device is here: http://www.wildmedcenter.com/news.html
Further forum conversation that includes citations of the New England Medical Journal are here: http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-venomous-forum/63462-snake-bite-extraction.html

I concur with your final assesment; because there are no serious medical consequences to using the Extrator, I too think its worth attempting to use unless or until its been proven to be ineffective and not worth the effort.

#99868 - 07/15/07 01:03 AM Re: Snake Bites (Sawyer Extractor) works or not [Re: hazeywolf]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

One thing he brings up a good point in the ssnakess forum is that the manufacture could be held liable for there statements down the road. I myself will still carry it, because I know it works on insects but never tested with snakes. Though it's questionable if it is even effective on snake bites but I doubt anything more harmful will come out of it by trying. If it even takes out any venom, even >.1% then it's positive. On the web site it says:

http://www.sawyeronline.com/sawyer_products/pages/extractor/extractor2.htm

Using your thumb, push the plunger all the way in until you feel the suction, and let the remove poison. This should take from 60-90 seconds for insect bites. The first five minutes are most beneficial for applying the to a snake bite. However, suction may be left in place for several hours or until no longer possible due to swelling. Center a suction cup over one fang hole at a time. Alternate between fang holes every two minutes for the first twelve minutes, than at intervals such as 15 minutes.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-venomous-forum/63462-snake-bite-extraction.html

As the Food and Drug Administration moves to hold manufacturers of retail food and medical products to their advertising claims, those made by the manufacturers of extractors should not be exempt, but warrant scrutiny.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.