Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9968 - 10/14/02 06:35 PM On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last weekend I was away at a beach house with some friends. We were having a barbecue and I decided, after we finished cooking, that I would try to boil some water in a container made with the aluminum foil in my pocket tin.<br><br> Well, after I fashioned my container it leaked. I passed a few squares of HD aluminum foil around and everyone's design leaked eventually ( Who says you can't have survival party games? ;-) ).<br><br> We managed to boil water with the hot coals but, left overnight with water on them, even those "cups" leaked.<br><br> Is there a specific way to create a more permanent "waterproof" HD foil cooking vessel, or is this just the way it works?<br><br><br>Thanks in advance;<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz<br><br><br>PS. I was not using Reynold's, but another brand of HD foil. Could that be it?<br><br>

#9969 - 10/14/02 07:28 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well my ( regular type ) aluminum foil water container test failed 2....but foil tray's you get with some survival kits ( bcb go-pack and stuff like that ) does work, well atleast holding water..i havent try to cook with them yet...

#9970 - 10/14/02 08:09 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I would shape it into a bowl without any seams. Then place it near the coals but not directly on them. Remember, aluminum foil will burn on hot coals.<br><br>I've never boild water in aluminum foil, but I have with a paper cup. The water in the cup keeps the temp of the paper below combustion. But if you put it directly on the coals, the part above the waterline will burn off, making it very hard to retrieve when done!<br><br>Have fum.

#9971 - 10/14/02 08:31 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I seem to be strong in some survival areas and weak in others. Fasioning cooking containers seems to be a strong point. <br><br>Just take a square or two and roll up the edges ionto the shape of a bowl. Use some wood pieces to fasion a frame with handle that fits under the rolled edges and you have a pot. Even with the standard foil I never had one leak. They did tend to burn through. <br><br>My final trick was to double up the HD foil leaving a micrscopic layer of air in between the foil pieces. This technique never burned through, however you do not want to place the bowl directly on the coals, rather suspend it a few inches over the flames.

#9972 - 10/15/02 03:18 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the tips gentlemen. I learn something everyday in this forums. I just didn't know foil could burn.<br><br>Next project will be fashioning a cup with foil using the altoids tin as the bottom. In effect extending it's capacity. Mabe that way the foil won't burn. I'll let you know how it goes. Might take a few days though, work is busy these days.<br><br>Thanks again;<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz

#9973 - 10/15/02 06:45 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Nice idea! The added strength on the bottom would help prevent burn through and the lose of precious resources (water and/or food).

#9974 - 10/16/02 04:03 AM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Try a book on Origami. There are a number of designs for paper cups and boxes. If those leak, it can only be because there is a hole in the foil itself (or the container has collapsed under the weight). Of course, Origami designs usually involve a lot of folding and creasing, so that might well increase the likelihood of a hole in the foil developing.

#9975 - 11/13/02 07:49 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, tried this again with the Altoids tins as the bottom. Placed the tins with the aluminum foil cup in them directly on the coals. There were 3 tins prepared, one by me, one by my girlfriend, and one by my friend.<br><br>1. All 3 "foiled tins" managed to boil 8 ounces of water and make a soup with half a bullion cube.<br><br>2. I refilled them with 8 ounces of water and placed them on paper towel. Both mine and my girlfriend's leaked a few ounces, but my friend's held the 8 ounces for about 12 - 14 hours.<br><br> The problem was clearly in the AFoil cup design. My friend kept the foil smooth with just a few folds to acquire the desired shape, while our's was a bit...."crumpled" I guess. They could also have been damaged when the tin corner was grabbed with a multi-tool to get it out of the fire.<br><br> I'll keep testing and will try to get my hands on an Origami book as suggested.<br><br>Hope this helps, updates to come;<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz<br><br>

#9976 - 11/13/02 10:24 PM Re: On Aluminum Foil and boiling containers
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i also tryed something out after these post. i made bowl like they suggested, but they leaked a LOT worse than mine smouth design....

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.