Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#99789 - 07/13/07 07:31 AM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: KevinB]
shecky Offline

Here in urban Los Angeles, most SHTF situations we've faced were vastly overrated. Earthquake, riot, wildfire get lots of airplay, but have surprisingly little effect on the majority of people.

Outside a really large earthquake, or a terrorist attack of extremely large proportion, the best thing to do is not freak out.

Terrorism threat should be put into perspective. Even if the US managed to sustain a 9/11 sized casualty amount from terrorism once a year, one's chances of dying by terrorist would still be dwarfed by one's chances of dying in a traffic accident.

Edited by shecky (07/13/07 07:41 AM)

#99801 - 07/13/07 01:54 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: shecky]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I agree. If you read the current NIE, al-Qaida isn't a "most likely" threat.
Quote:
Among the key findings of the classified estimate, which is still in draft form and must be approved by all 16 U.S. spy agencies:

—The U.S. will face "a persistent and evolving terrorist threat" within its borders over the next three years. The main danger comes from Islamic terrorist groups, especially al-Qaida, and is "driven by the undiminished intent to attack the homeland and a continued effort by terrorist groups to adapt and improve their capabilities."

—Al-Qaida is probably still pursuing chemical, biological or nuclear weapons and would use them if its operatives developed sufficient capability.

—The terror group has been able to restore three of the four key tools it would need to launch an attack on U.S. soil: a safe haven in Pakistan's tribal areas, operational lieutenants and senior leaders. It could not immediately be learned what the missing fourth element is.

—The group will bolster its efforts to position operatives inside U.S. borders. In public statements, U.S. officials have expressed concern about the ease with which people can enter the United States through Europe because of a program that allows most Europeans to enter without visas.
Granted al-Qaida's threat is real and could bring massive loss of life and infrastructure if they were successful. It will be with us for years to come, but weather events (including earthquakes) are more likely.

#100115 - 07/18/07 04:44 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: WillCAD]
Whiteknight Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: WillCAD
The idea of a riot or terror attack in Cockeysville is ludicrous, to say the least.

What, the state fair doesn't seem like a prize target to you? What about the Wegmans in Hunt Valley? That place is packed on the weekends. smile

I live in Lutherville.

#100118 - 07/18/07 05:28 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: WillCAD]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
In Houston, I think the biggest threat of SHTF is probably social unrest. Whether due to shortages of gasoline which could immobilize large portions of the population or due to a Rodney King style race riot, I think social unrest is the biggest threat. Dealing with hungry people with no transportation in a city designed specifically for cars would be catestrophic. But we live far enough from the city proper to be able to avoid dealing with localized civil unrest.

Secondary threats I would consider would be a pipeline explosion or a train carrying hazardous material derailing. These are threats I have no control over and short of keeping the car gassed up and my escape routes covered can't do much to prepare for.

I no longer count Hurricanes as an emergency anymore. They're similar to snow storms in Wyoming, they're going to happen and you prepare for them every year. Again the biggest threat from civil unreast in the aftermath.

Going to school in Wyoming, the biggest threat is from a train derailing in town. The major problem with that is it eliminates three of the four routes out of town. Everyone east of the railroad tracks (most people including me) would have to evacuate east on I-80 and the grid lock would be unimaginable. A potential solution would be owning a motorcycle since that could allow me to trickle through traffic I'd be unable to circumvent in a car.

#100122 - 07/18/07 05:51 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: AROTC]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Living in Northern California my most likely SHTF are.

1. Fire
2. Flood
3. Earthquake

No matter where you live a most common SHTF scenario would be financial problems.

#100158 - 07/19/07 01:32 AM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: Whiteknight]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Originally Posted By: Whiteknight
What, the state fair doesn't seem like a prize target to you? What about the Wegmans in Hunt Valley? That place is packed on the weekends. smile

I live in Lutherville.

With the crowds the Fair has been drawing the last few years, I wouldn't consider it too big a target.

Wegmans, on the other hand, does draw a big crowd, but it's so far out in the hinterlands of the area that I doubt any Ter'rist will ever hear about it.

Edited by WillCAD (07/19/07 01:32 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.