Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#99522 - 07/10/07 01:48 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: nouseforaname]
WillCAD Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Originally Posted By: rumbaugh
i think a big one that you may have forgotten about is APG up in Harford County. being the #1 stockpiling site for all kinds of nasty-no-good chemicals and all the weapons testing being done here, it certainly poses a rather large threat.

i seem to remember hearing a while ago that APG would probably be the #2 target for nuclear attack back in the cold war days, with DC being #1. something tells me that probably hasnt changed much.

Prevailing winds in Maryland come out of the northwest October through June, and out of the southwest the rest of the year.

This means that whatever nasty chemicals that might leak out of APG will not travel due west to Cockeysville or southwest to Baltimore or D.C. through the air.

Of course, anything that leaks out of APG could contaminate ground water in the immediate vicinity and probably leak directly into the Chesapeake (a lovely prospect considering the amount of food that comes from the Bay.) But since I'm due west of APG, I'm upstream in the water system too, so I'm not worried about direct chemical exposure from that direction.

Nuclear attack by a foreign government (Russia, China, or North Korea) is extremely unlikely these days. The bigger threat comes from pissant rogue nations like Iran getting their hands on NBC material and smuggling it into the country as a terrorist attack. But an attack of that nature would be limited in scope and duration, and most likely directed at targets in D.C. that are 50-70 miles away from where I live. It's unlikely that an NBC attack of that nature on a target in D.C. would even make it to Baltimore, much less up here to Cockeysville.

Fortunately, Cockeysville is not only upwind of the major targets in Baltimore and D.C. for most of the year, but also upstream in the water system.

Mind, I'm not trying to say that I'm safe here. There is no such thing as safe anywhere; there is only more safe or less safe. All I'm saying is that the most likely bad things to happen would most likely not directly affect me so quickly that I wouldn't have some time to prepare or evacuate. So instead, I choose to concentrate my efforts at preparing for those things that are most likely to directly affect me - bad storms (summer or winter) and power outages.

However, if Al Quieda comes marching up I-83 and invades Cockeysville, I do posess certain, shall we say, tools of an offensive nature which I can use to overcome the challenge.

#99524 - 07/10/07 03:19 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: LED]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
No matter where you live in the United States, you have the following "most likely" scenarios near where you live.

1. Weather Event. Flood, Freeze, Wind - whatever. The risk of natural hazards is by far the greatest threat you face in real life, and is the one that is easiest to plan for, because you know what can happen. All weather situations have the same basic threats - no electric, transportation and emergency services limited to non-existent, physical damage to your home or workplace.
2. Seismic Event. For the West coast, this is a known risk.
3. Wildfire - again a west coast thing.

Now let's look at the far less likely events that we worry about incessantly and far too much.

A) Major Chemical Leak. The nightmare scenario was Bhopal, India, with over 15,000 dead from a toxic gas cloud. But here in the USA, we're a bit more prepared. Here's what I mean:
Search the news for hazmat incidents .

You see? It's not that common - and when it does happen, it's highly localized.

B) Terrorist Attack. Did you know that in October 2001, more people were killed in highway accidents than in the September 11th Attacks?
Did you know that if you add up all the fatalities WORLDWIDE from terrorist attacks from January 1 2001 to July 10 2007, you have LESS PEOPLE KILLED than in just ONE AVERAGE YEAR in highway accidents in the USA (39,244 vs. about 44,000) See this link. . Yes, a terrorist attack is scary, yes, it's something that we need to think about. But you know what? I'd worry more about going to the hospital or ladders. .

C) Civil Unrest caused by (name your scenario).
Well, as I was born just before some of the most violent times in the USA social unrest with the nation's capital in dissary as well as other places. We all know about the Katrina Debacle. But what about the countless other things that were supposed to be happening in the moments when the proverbial you know what hit the fan? Over and over again, I see the majority of people working together to solve problems. Yes, things can get a bit scary at times, and no I don't like to think about what it will be like when a car bomb goes off in New York, especially if I'm there at the time. But I honestly have to say that I'm more concerned with the concept of "civil unrest" in terms of long-term economic problems caused by environmental changes that are happening now (why is not a subject for this forum). I have long ago come to the conclusion that fiscal preparedness is probably more critical than any bottled water or MRE's, because that's something that will be a real issue for all of us no matter what happens in the future. Being economically prepared for the future - ensuring you've saved enough, hedged against inflation and that you have managed your money means more than having a compass to find your way out of the woods.

If you want to really study a middle-class enconomy that has see not only the S hitting the F, but the aftermath, have a look at what happened in Argentina . For a darker, more pessimistic view of an economic and societal collapse, look at any of the former Soviet states.

Anyway, what I suggest - wear your seatbelt, slow down, cancel the pay tv services and put the money you would have spent on that into long-term investments.

#99572 - 07/10/07 08:19 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: WillCAD]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: WillCAD

However, if Al Quieda comes marching up I-83 and invades Cockeysville, I do posess certain, shall we say, tools of an offensive nature which I can use to overcome the challenge.

(shhhhh.....MSP...this is maryland after all.)

the threat of all the nasty NBC stuff emmanating from APG/DC is quite the concern for me as i'm MAYBE 5 miles from APG. i only take solace in the fact that when it hits, i probably wont even know it.

enjoy nuclear winter suckers!!!

<3

#99576 - 07/10/07 08:51 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: nouseforaname]
WillCAD Offline

Originally Posted By: rumbaugh
enjoy nuclear winter suckers!!!

At least nuclear winter would cancel out the effects of global warming.

I sleep better in the cold than in the heat, anyway.

#99613 - 07/11/07 11:06 AM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: Melissa]
OddArne Offline
stranger

Worst thing that ever happened was the electricity was out for a couple of days bacuase of a hurricane. A few trees on the roads as well.We even watched the news on TV with a car battery.

There`s enough dry wood for 5-6 winters under the balcony.

There`s always enough canned veggies and ham around anyway.

Clean water is pentiful all around in any case. If it was ever contaminated there`s a ton of soda, wine and frozen/bottled fruit juices in the basement.

#99620 - 07/11/07 03:45 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: WillCAD]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
1. Harsh winter weather, which can include blizzards and ice storms, all of which can and do cause extended power outages. Not so much a problem at home because we have a fireplace and about three weeks' supply of wood, plenty of food and stored water, warm clothing, blankets, battery-powerd lights and radios, etc. Also very good neighbors. More of a problem on the road because if I get stranded in the Forester it means the emergency crews aren't getting around either, so the winter car kit definitely includes blankets, food, water battery powered lights and radio, FAK and extra winter clothing and boots.

2. Non-weather related power outages like the big one we had here in the northeast/midwest a few years ago. Usually a warm-weather event, but ditto the supplies above.

3. Pandemic flu - definitely a bug-in event, but possibly protracted (21 days or more). Working on solutions for extended winter heating, otherwise same as above.

4. Nuclear fallout - there is a nuclear plant 30 miles away, but its upwind, so there may be a need to BO on short notice. The BO Bag has everything in it I can think of to allow the family to survive on the road for 5-plus-days.

Frank2135

#99636 - 07/11/07 05:26 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: Melissa]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Melissa
2.) Flashlight: If you walk home in a black out or after-dark terror scenario, street light will not be working. A flashlight is indespensible. Flashlight and LED micro light too.

In this scenario, I would avoid using a flashlight if at all possible. I wouldn't want to have a beacon pointing everyone to me. Even on the darkest nights (new moon), there's enough light to walk carefully once your eyes are dark-adapted. Having night vision-safe light for quick checks of street signs or map would be good though.

#99659 - 07/12/07 12:40 AM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: WillCAD]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Reasonably up there, -for any Region Nationally, (Even Extranationally, -as Recently in Britain), -is another Major Terroristic Strike! At Risk of somewhat Discomfiting or Offending what Minimalists or Naysayers as we have here, on that!

Come On!, -The Likes of those who did the original 9-11, -*Are* Going to sometime or other, -Try Again! Indeed they Many Times have Already! Our often Top Notch Goaltending, -has so often Deflected their Slap Shots and Power Plays Back! But not even the Top 5 NHL Goaltenders of All Time!, -Have a Perfect Record! Recent Indications, -certainly Not among many also recent False Alarms, -have Shown some Real Drives at our Net! Ditto our Great Ally in Western Freedom Britain! They *Are* going to Keep on Power Playing at our Net! They *Are* Going to sometime Get Another One *In and Through*! Some Real People Americans or Other Westerners can be Caught in that Goal or Net! Such Ones just can be any given Ones of us! Or that of our Loved Ones!

This may yet not be the Top Ranking thing on any given Region's List. But it still, -from the Angles I have relayed, -Ranks rather Well Up There! For Any given Region! (Notwithstanding that Locations say in the Boondocks, -certainly Ranks Less in Possibility, -than say New York). Be Aware and Prepare accordingly.

I'll be the First to now Admit, -that I do not have a suggested Equipment and Preparation List for such Possibilities, -at the Ready, -at this Time.

They're Going to Keep On Driving at our Net! Come the Heck On! If you Think or Entertain otherwise!

#99750 - 07/12/07 08:28 PM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: ScottRezaLogan]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: ScottRezaLogan
Reasonably up there, -for any Region Nationally, (Even Extranationally, -as Recently in Britain), -is another Major Terroristic Strike! At Risk of somewhat Discomfiting or Offending what Minimalists or Naysayers as we have here, on that!

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't see the target in my particular neck of the woods, with the exception of a nuclear power plant 30 miles away. It has always been very secure, and appears more so now. I have a BO plan in place if anything happens to it.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how to prepare for a terrorist attack in my "region" as opposed to preparing for a winter storm or a pandemic flu epidemic. We have to be prepare to survive the aftermath of a destructive event in either case, at least as I see it.

Frank2135

#99774 - 07/13/07 01:29 AM Re: What's your most likely SHTF situation? [Re: ScottRezaLogan]
WillCAD Offline

Originally Posted By: ScottRezaLogan

Come On!, -The Likes of those who did the original 9-11, -*Are* Going to sometime or other, -Try Again! Indeed they Many Times have Already! Our often Top Notch Goaltending, -has so often Deflected their Slap Shots and Power Plays Back! But not even the Top 5 NHL Goaltenders of All Time!, -Have a Perfect Record! Recent Indications, -certainly Not among many also recent False Alarms, -have Shown some Real Drives at our Net! Ditto our Great Ally in Western Freedom Britain! They *Are* going to Keep on Power Playing at our Net! They *Are* Going to sometime Get Another One *In and Through*! Some Real People Americans or Other Westerners can be Caught in that Goal or Net! Such Ones just can be any given Ones of us! Or that of our Loved Ones!

This may yet not be the Top Ranking thing on any given Region's List. But it still, -from the Angles I have relayed, -Ranks rather Well Up There! For Any given Region! (Notwithstanding that Locations say in the Boondocks, -certainly Ranks Less in Possibility, -than say New York). Be Aware and Prepare accordingly.

I'll be the First to now Admit, -that I do not have a suggested Equipment and Preparation List for such Possibilities, -at the Ready, -at this Time.

They're Going to Keep On Driving at our Net! Come the Heck On! If you Think or Entertain otherwise!

I Disagree Somewhat With Your Assessment.

Certainly, terror attacks in other countries are up. And I sure as heck agree that the zealots who perpetrated 9/11 have plenty of fans out there, still plotting to do bad things, not to mention the rotten, lowlife, loonie SOBs like Tim Mcviegh who we tend to lump together as "homegrown terrorists." Yes, there is a risk.

But the risk of a terror attack in the US is not "Reasonably Up There." Statistically, it's actually a pretty low possibility compared with weather- or geological-related disasters like hurricanes, wildfires, blizzards, earthquakes, or even tornadoes.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, and I'm not saying that it's not going to happen; eventually, I'm sure that Osama and his cowardly buddies will cook up some way to send some fanatical dupes to do their dirty work for them and perpetrate an attack on the US. But focussing on something that is low on the liklihood scale diverts attention from those things that are high on the liklihood scale, like those I listed above.

After all, when was the last successful major terrorist attack inside the US?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.