Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98994 - 07/03/07 01:35 AM I'm Done...
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
I say this with my fingers crossed behind my back, but with the gear that came in today, I am finally satisfied with the emergency gear that now fills my small pack. I thought I would share such a list with everyone...

This is a spring-summer-fall bag of goodies to keep me alive in the Eastern US in case I have an unexpected overnight or other emergency while I am out hiking (so this is also some of my dayhiking gear).

I always wear good snythetic clothing and I have some excellent leather boots.

On my person I carry the RSK Mk1, Photon III freedom, mini bic, ACR whistle, and a red bandanna in order to cover the bare essentials.

In the pack:

Clothing
Wool Watch Cap
Polarfleece 200 Pullover
Columbia Nylon Rain Jacket
Extra Wool Socks
Food and Water
2 1 Qt Nalgene Water Bottles
Katadyhn Hiker Water Filter
16 oz Steel Mug
30 MP-1 Tablets
4 Clif Bars
Emergency Equipment
AMK Ultralite .9 First Aid Kit
Mora #840 Fixed Blade Knife
Leatherman Wave
Pocket Chain Saw
DMT MiniSharp
AMK Heatsheet Bivy
AMK 2 Person Heatsheet
Emergency Poncho
Fox 40 Whistle
2x3 Signal Mirror
75 Ft 550 Cord
Sparklight Firestarter Kit
25 NATO Matches
eQ Multi Light
Navigation
Petzel Tikka Plus Headlamp AAA
Garmin GPS Unit AA
Topo Map
Pencil
Waterproof Notebook
Sunnto A-10 Compass
2 AA Batteries
3 AAA Batteries
Polarized Sunglasses
Personal Supplies
Prescription Glasses With Case
2 Large Plastic Garbage Bags
Ziploc Bags
Roll Toilet Paper
Pack Towel
Contact Case
Small Bottle Contact Solution
Bottle Repel 100% DEET

I think that about covers it. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. Aside from getting a PLB down the road, or a better GPS, I think this is how my pack will more or less remain for a while (that and I have no more money!).

Matt

#98997 - 07/03/07 01:42 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: Coastie09]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Kind of top heavy on blades, but then one can never have too many blades. Looks pretty good to me...

#99005 - 07/03/07 02:22 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: Coastie09]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Coastie09
I say this with my fingers crossed behind my back, but with the gear that came in today, I am finally satisfied with the emergency gear that now fills my small pack.

Matt, don't be silly, I'm sure that before a week or so, you'll find something else that you absolutely MUST HAVE. It could be life or death when it happens. I don't know if it'll be a new flashlight, blade, or whatever, but, it will happen, and soon. wink

- Ron

#99006 - 07/03/07 02:30 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Coastie09 Offline

Yeah - the Wave and Pocket Chain Saw aren't light either. I tried to stick with the rule of 3 for knives, shelter, water, and fire and the knives do get heavy. The Leatherman just has so many useful features and though I haven't used it yet, I imagine the saw would be huge if I had to construct a shelter or cut large fuelwood to burn through the night. And the Mora is backup for the RSK. Altogether (with H20) it weighs about 16lbs.

#99009 - 07/03/07 02:46 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: Coastie09]
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
Good Job !!

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#99010 - 07/03/07 02:47 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: Be_Prepared]
Coastie09 Offline

I know what you mean - hence my caveat. I do have a nasty habit of impulsively buying the lastest and greatest, but I sat on this last "want list" for well over a month before I got anything and I was able to do better research. Beleive me, a PLB, the fixed RSK, a Garmin Legend CX, a new pack, a Hiker Pro filter, and a whole host of other stuff does look mighty appealing. However, I reasoned that, at least for a little bit (while I saved up for some hiking trips), I can make out perfectly fine with what I've got and instead look to find better ways to use the great gear that I already have.

Now I know you were joking and I don't mean to seem to lecture, but I do feel like pointing out that sometimes all the posts on this forum make me feel like I don't have enough stuff or that I need to go out and get the next generation. I'll see a post on flashlights or jackets or knives and instantly start adding stuff to my "To Get" list. I know that I am far and above in prepardness compared to the masses, or the people we have to yank out of the water, and that in the end it will be my knowledge and courage that will get me through whatever I might face and not the latest gizmo, doo-hicky, or thingamajig. People have gotten by with a lot less and lived. Granted, the gear helps, but there has to be a point where you say "Hey, I've got the stuff to cover about 95% of what I might face, and now I need to spend my time and energy and money on [fill in the blank]." I think the last 5% is in the hands of the Man Upstairs - you can not prepare for everything with equipment alone.

Sorry for the rant. Again, I know you were joking with me, but I wanted to point that out. I was actually already prepared to turn the discussion in this directon, hence the title of the thread "I'm done."

Matt

#99015 - 07/03/07 03:19 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: Coastie09]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd toss in a brew kit, even if it was just a coffee/tea bag and a cocoa pouch, for hypothermia. Swap the polar fleece for a light wool sweater. That's all I can see.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99017 - 07/03/07 03:26 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: Coastie09]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
It is a very well thought out kit. Due to lack of money, I also list what I want/need, and then think hard about the next thing to get. I would add a pair of work gloves. I like pig skin work gloves, but choose what you like. When doing a lot of work in a survival situation, they really save the hands.

Spud

#99018 - 07/03/07 03:43 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: spuddate]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

You are definately "Equipped to Survive"-very complete and well thought out.

#99020 - 07/03/07 04:07 AM Re: I'm Done... [Re: TomP]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm never done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.