Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98927 - 07/02/07 02:26 AM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: MartinFocazio]
asfried1 Offline

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
From: http://ririanproject.com/2006/10/25/10-useless-or-even-dangerous-first-aid-myths/

If you don’t have baking soda, wet the affected area and rub it with an uncoated aspirin; the aspirin will help control swelling, pain, and inflammation.

Again, please don't use aspirin in any manner on a child. Reye's syndrome is rare, but very very bad. It can occur as a result of any form of aspirin exposure -- even topical. Reye's syndrome is usually associated with a viral syndrome, but there is way to know that a bee-stung child is not also brewing a cold.

#98932 - 07/02/07 04:19 AM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: sodak]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: sodak
Jellyfish and sting ray venom, from what I've heard (careful now) can be neutralized by immersion in very hot water. The proteins in the venom are denatured by the heat.

For bee/wasp stings, meat tenderizer, which contains papraine (sp), can take the pain away quickly.

I've been taught to use meat tenderizer for jellyfish. Mud also I've heard is good for bee stings.

As for sting rays, up and down the coast of Southern California, hospitals DO use warm water to help. Make it as hot as the person can tolerate (test it like you would a baby bottle, drop some on your inner wrist). Never been stung personally, but my patients seemed to tolerate it well.

Of course, by the time they get to us, I wonder how much of the venom is still in the affected area?

#98943 - 07/02/07 07:59 AM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: Alex]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
...not SWALLOW, but BITE it off! So use a stick or something if possible.

During a seizure it's virtually impossibe to do anything. It's very hard to put anything between their teeth and if they get a lock-jaw, it's just not possible.
You could also injure yourself or break the victims teeth.

The best thing to do is to make sure the victim doesn't hurt himself to objects aroud them, and wait for the seizure to stop.
Then you can put the victim into the recovery-position to prevent blood from going into the airway (if the victim remains uncounsious ) and try to stop the bleeding.

#98953 - 07/02/07 02:23 PM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: Alex]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Quote:
7. People May Swallow Their Tongues During a Seizure
Someone has a seizure and a passerby sticks something in the patient’s mouth so they don’t swallow their tongue

...not SWALLOW, but BITE it off! So use a stick or something if possible.

Back in '92 during my EMT classes we were taught that placing a stick or anything between the PTs teeth was more likely to cause damage. This damage to the teeth is caused when you have to pry open their jaws. If you have to pry open the jaw you are more apt to get your self bitten. I was speaking with the local fire marshal (who spent 20+ years driving the bus) and he has never seen or heard of someone in a seizure biting off their tounge. Car accidents yes, seizures no.

Can anyone actually working the streets in an EMS capacity comment?

#98977 - 07/02/07 09:37 PM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: NightHiker]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Ok. I'll probably give up on seizure for now smile
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/firstaid_tonicclonic.html
But that's the official version. All these officials are too cautious for themselves, who wants to be sued for giving a not 100% safe advice to the not 100% normal people? But the real ill people are smarter:

"Hi mickey

in reading all of the accounts of tongue-destruction I was surprised to see that nobody had mentioned that "auras" before seizures often give enough time for the sufferer to put an appropriate-sized object in the mouth to save the tongue.

My husband suffers from epilepsy and had chomped his tongue repeatedly for years before he started carrying around a rolled up bandage in his pocket. He usually gets it into his mouth before the full-blown seizures occur.

Now, sometimes it doesn't do a perfect job and there are small pokes through the tongue. But the damage is nothing compared to what he was doing beforehand - a lot less blood!

Just make sure the roll of bandage you use is wide enough so you won't choke on it. We use a standard roll of gauze, about 6inches wide and 2 inches thick; then wrap in duct tape for durability (this was his idea, I thought it was softer without). He places it sideways, like a bar to bite down on; as the seizure takes hold, he grinds down on the bandage bar instead of his tongue. He carries it everywhere with him.

K"

More terrible stories about tongue biting are here:
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic16513.html

#98979 - 07/02/07 10:33 PM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: Matt26]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

BTW: It's very rare that people swallow their tongue (if you don't caunt a wrong guedel-airway insertion),
but a cause could be that the small piece of tissue under the tongue (we in The Netherlands call it the tongue-belt, but do't know how you call it in the US), that connects it to the bottom jaw tears off.
When that occurs, it's usually seen in soccer-matches when a player gets a very hard ball into his face, resulting in the tongue-belt breaking, not during a seizure.

Once again, don't place anything between their teeth, make sure they don't injure themselves to surrounding objects, and when the seizure is over, put the victim into the recovery-position.

That's about all you can do as a first-aid provider in a seizure... You could hurt yourself and the victim by inserting a bite-block during a seizure... If the victim does it himselve before a seizure, that's fine, but a first-aid provider shouldn't do it.

After the seizures end, place him into the recovery-position an when victim regains counciousness, you must have them lay down for about 10 minutes. If they stay uncounsignous for longer than 10 minutes, they have additional injuries or if a seizure is followed by another seizure (status epilepticus), you should call 911.

#98980 - 07/02/07 10:51 PM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: Alex]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
While maybe slightly off the topic of seizures, EMT's usually carry oropharyngeal airways to prevent the tongue from falling back and blocking the airway. Some refer to this as swallowing the tongue. Same result, compromised airway...

#99032 - 07/03/07 10:03 AM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

OBG, a oroharyngeal airway is the same thing as a guedel airway (their also called mayo-tubes). They prevent the tongue from falling down into the airway, but if you insert them in the wrong way, you block the airway even more.

#99047 - 07/03/07 03:48 PM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: JIM]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...but if you insert them in the wrong way, you block the airway even more..."

True, that is probably why we received a lot of training/re-training on measuring and inserting...

#99087 - 07/04/07 04:28 AM Re: 10 First Aid Myths [Re: Matt26]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Quote:

Back in '92 during my EMT classes we were taught that placing a stick or anything between the PTs teeth was more likely to cause damage. This damage to the teeth is caused when you have to pry open their jaws. If you have to pry open the jaw you are more apt to get your self bitten. I was speaking with the local fire marshal (who spent 20+ years driving the bus) and he has never seen or heard of someone in a seizure biting off their tounge. Car accidents yes, seizures no.

Can anyone actually working the streets in an EMS capacity comment?

I'd have to agree; I've never even heard of it. The occasional bloody tongue, but never actually severed.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 354 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.