Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#98902 - 07/01/07 06:12 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: AROTC]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ok I can not resist responding to this post while in church. I should wait till get home....but like I said I cannot resist.

Thanks for the props on tearing apart a $40,000 truck (more like $56,000), but the fact is that I was just making up for past stupidity by going the route I did and blindly following the NAV unit.

The details of how I got into the situation might help to explain things a bit.

Unlike some NAV units in cars, the GMC unit cannot change routes, destination address, or Options while in drive. So while we were driving for 7 hours already with crying and screaming kids, annoying sister in laws and sore butts, my wife was on the phone with her other sister and was convinced to try a shortcut to our NORMAL shortcut (mistake 1).

Well we put the information into the nav unit and then read off some of the roads and turns that it calculated for us back to my sister in law, she said it sounded correct (mistake 2)

So I said then lets go. I did not verify the whole route. (mistake 3)

It was at night so going an unknown shortcut was also pretty stupid (mistake 4).

While on the roads I thought several times about turning around, but fought my instincts, plus turning around was almost as dangerous as we were on a road just about the size of the car.

Plus being nighttime in an unknown area I was more concerned with the small road and various cute, little animals, then the nav. (mistake 5)

What did search and rescue say?

"How the hell did you get on this road, it was supposed to be closed!"

So many mistakes made ALL learned from and never to be repeated.
In the end i am kinda happy it happened. It taught me life lessons I could never have learned anywhere else and never so quickly.

By the way the first people to find us were a pair of park rangers (whose truck got stuck while finding us) so then S&R had to get their truck out also.

Edited by DeathtoToasters (07/02/07 12:35 AM)

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98904 - 07/01/07 06:34 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

To answer the second part of your question.. S&R said the road I was on was supposed to be closed, but sometimes hunters or kids riding 4 wheelers break the chains..

The reason the road was closed was because of a sudden s snow storm the made that road absolute mud. Impassable.

We were on a road called Ericcson Pass about 15-20 miles from any paved road in both directions. Complete mountains. The nearest house was 23 miles away.

I will get the google map coordinates when I get home.

Since the road was supposed to be closed, the main S&R person said that they would have started searching in the opposite direction and it would have taken at least 2-3 days before they would have looked in our area if they didn't have any direction to start at.

Edited by DeathtoToasters (07/02/07 12:58 AM)

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98916 - 07/02/07 12:57 AM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Here are the lat and long from google earth:

Lat: 39°57'34.34"N
Long: 112°36'25.17"W

Our Destination was Tooele, Utah.

Somewhere in a more southern direction, in the town named Hinckley, Utah we made a wrong turn.

If you follow the Ericcson Pass, north and then hit Lookout Pass and go east till you hit Route 36 and follow that north and you will go into Tooele, Utah.

Ericcson Pass and the Desert Mountain Road (the road that leads to Ericcson Pass are not paved. Lookout Pass which is after Ericcson Pass is paved.

So to answer your question, no AAA would not be able to get there.

Edited by DeathtoToasters (07/02/07 12:58 AM)

#98925 - 07/02/07 02:18 AM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: DeathtoToasters]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Ha, I was just there, well a little more east around Provo and Price. I just got back from geology field camp up there, I go to school up in Laramie. Beautiful country, but rough. What time of year did it happen?

#98926 - 07/02/07 02:25 AM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: AROTC]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: AROTC
Ha, I was just there, well a little more east around Provo and Price. I just got back from geology field camp up there, I go to school up in Laramie. Beautiful country, but rough. What time of year did it happen?

It happened in March of this year. Very beautiful country but also very dangerous if you don't know where you are or what you are doing.

I assume you heard about the boy that got killed by the black bear recently in American Fork Canyon.

Sad Story.

Convinced now that I could not just call AAA? smile

I get that alot...until people see where I was stuck.

#98946 - 07/02/07 01:46 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: DeathtoToasters]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Ericcson Pass and the Desert Mountain Road (the road that leads to Ericcson Pass are not paved. Lookout Pass which is after Ericcson Pass is paved.

I used to ride out there all the time. It is not an area I would care to be stuck in, particularly in January or August.

Lookout Pass is the site of the old stage stop on the Pony Express route. During the last half of the 19th century the woman who ran it alone kept numerous dogs as company, and when they would die she'd bury them in a little pet cemetary across the road. During the 40 years she ran the station she also found a half-dozen or so people dead or dying along the route, and she buried them there as well. The cemetary is still there. The woman was Porter Rockwell's sister. He had a ranch near Ericson pass, and the ranch house is still being used today.

#98947 - 07/02/07 01:50 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: norad45]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...The cemetary is still there..."

NOW you really have my attention! My wife and I love old graveyards...

#98949 - 07/02/07 01:56 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: norad45]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: norad45
Quote:

I used to ride out there all the time. It is not an area I would care to be stuck in, particularly in January or August.

Lookout Pass is the site of the old stage stop on the Pony Express route. During the last half of the 19th century the woman who ran it alone kept numerous dogs as company, and when they would die she'd bury them in a little pet cemetary across the road. During the 40 years she ran the station she also found a half-dozen or so people dead or dying along the route, and she buried them there as well. The cemetary is still there. The woman was Porter Rockwell's sister. He had a ranch near Ericson pass, and the ranch house is still being used today.

Wow I didn't know that. Porter Rockwell's sister...now that is interesting.

Well knowing that before hand would have made more even more nervous smile

Edited by DeathtoToasters (07/02/07 01:58 PM)

#98950 - 07/02/07 02:12 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: OldBaldGuy]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I wouldn't call it a graveyard. It's more like a monument. It measures about 20' X 20'. The State has erected a 3' high stone wall around it topped with an iron fence, and the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers has put a plaque up with the historical info.

The unpaved road is graded and is pretty safe even in the dead of winter, but unless it's high summer if you get even a foot off of it you better have a winch. Traveling out there brings to mind the wise words of Patty Reed : "Don't ever take no shortcuts...."

#98954 - 07/02/07 02:34 PM Re: Woman who gets lost in woods is found thanks t [Re: norad45]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Noted, thanks...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.