Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#99014 - 07/03/07 03:10 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: ironraven]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ironraven

Elevated sodium content- it is a preservative and desiccant. But your dehydrated stuff isn't as bad some of the other options that don't last as long. So long as your seal is good, the mountain house cans supposedly last forever.

What I want is food storage I can leave to my children when I die :P

Just kidding. My question is this.

Is that alot of sodium content per meal for adults and children, or is that normal?

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#99016 - 07/03/07 03:21 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wouldn't consider it horrible. It's less than fast food.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99030 - 07/03/07 07:08 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: ironraven]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
I wouldn't consider it horrible. It's less than fast food.

Good point....very good point

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#99034 - 07/03/07 10:15 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
LED Offline
Veteran

I don't know if your family prefers nuts but I imagine you could vacuum seal them to last quite a while. Great source of energy, and pretty cheap to buy in bulk. Or, if you're lucky, you've got a pecan, almond, or walnut tree in your yard.

#99053 - 07/03/07 05:00 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Happy Birthday BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
In regards to the sodium content, it seems equivalent or slightly lower than most canned goods. It wouldn't be a sensible diet during regular times. However, I think that in a survial situation eating with that much sodium is better than not eating at all.

In the 80's and 90's I was concerned about sodium intake and my blood pressure. There are quite a few products (soups, vegetables) that are canned with less sodium. Also, foods like oatmeal, rice and pasta usually don't have a lot of sodium in them (it's usually the sauces that load up on it).

I haven't seen any freeze-dried or dehydrated conterparts. Do you have space for a garden? I'm assuming that you're keeping this food around for a "dig in" situation. Keeping a small garden, and a store of non-hybrid seeds, may be another option for supplimenting your diet.

#99055 - 07/03/07 05:56 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: ironraven]
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Buy what you eat as far as canned and dried goods go. Rice, pasta, canned soup.

I might shy away from MREs. My last experience with one was not pleasant.

Please do tell.

For the record, I've stocked MREs since 1990, and never had a bad experience.

I keep 3 months worth for 3 people on hand, in a cool basement.

#99079 - 07/04/07 02:28 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Lee123 Offline

Loc: NW NY
regarding sodium content FDA says:

"American adults, on average, eat too much sodium--between 4 to 6 grams (4,000 mg to 6,000 mg) daily"

"Under FDA's food labeling rules, the Daily Value for sodium is 2,400 mg. (Daily Values are a new label reference tool. See Daily Values' Encourage Healthy Diet in the FDA Consumer Special Report "Focus on Food Labeling.") FDA established this value because it is consistent with recommendations and government reports that encourage reduced sodium intakes."

#99098 - 07/04/07 06:04 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: Lee123]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Those "rules" are based on the theory that you are "average" (sedentary) in activity with an "average" metabolism. I have a friend who is a fellow console jockey who eats a lot more than I do and is about half as big around as I am- and I eat less than most people do becuase I'm just not that big of an eater.

If you are active, you do need more salt. And to be perfectly honest, most preservation methods use salt to create an environment hostile to microscopic life. The other option is to completely and total dry something, but it doesn't have the same ease of use or long term performance, or to freeze it. (Yes, Chris, I know about the 200 year old pemmican. All I can say is, you eat it. :P That's like a thirty year old fruit cake.)

For the scenario that Toasters is talking about, your sodium intake, honestly, is pretty far down the list of concerns.

Edited by ironraven (07/04/07 06:08 AM)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#99133 - 07/04/07 06:28 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: ironraven]
weldon Offline
Journeyman

Also on the salt issue, a lot of other cultures eat a WHOLE lot more sodium in their diets than americans... hmmm, maybe it's not such a problem.

#99188 - 07/05/07 05:38 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: weldon]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
The Japanese eat roughly twice as much salt in an average year as do residents of the US...but their diet also tends to be lower in saturated fats and overall calories. IMHO you can't easily look at just one component of a diet and pronounce it good or bad.

Frank2135

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.