Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98930 - 07/02/07 03:28 AM Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers....
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ok I am getting ready to purchase our food storage in a few weeks and need opinions on brands and places to purchase.

Who else to ask, but my friendly neighborhood, ETS members!

Ok, here are somethings I have learned by reading here and other places, asking questions, etc.

I need to get food storage for 2 adults, and 4 kids.

I don't want to get food storage that is all sodium and then some flavor. Some food that relatively healthy and tastes decent.

I would prefer to get food that only needs water to get eatable.

Having #10 cans makes sense from the purchasing of quantity vs, but I don't want to have cans opened everywhere. Even if they are good for a few months. Also having to worry about moving the unused portions to different containers is not something that is appealing, especially during a emergency situation.

Money is always an issue, but I understand it is not going to be cheap.

How about a help with forming a plan of both 'normal' food storage supply and also purchasing regular cans in cases at Sam's Club or Costco.

I formed a plan, but then when someone else in a thread replied about getting food that the children will eat, I had to rethink my 10 cases of MRE supply :P

Thanks.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98933 - 07/02/07 04:29 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
With tongue slightly (but only slightly) in cheek, I will relate some valuable info I received years ago from a UC Bezerkly nutrition "expert" who was teaching a class at the LEO academy I was attending. She stated (for us single guys), that one can consume nothing but peanut butter and remain fairly healthy. Add to that some saltine crackers, Raman noodles (lotsa sodium there), Lipton pouch meals, a can or two of spam, some Bushes baked beans, chili, and you are good to go. Maybe a few cans of Noodle O's, or whatever the kids like too...

#98935 - 07/02/07 04:31 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
With tongue slightly (but only slightly) in cheek, I will relate some valuable info I received years ago from a UC Bezerkly nutrition "expert" who was teaching a class at the LEO academy I was attending. She stated (for us single guys), that one can consume nothing but peanut butter and remain fairly healthy. Add to that some saltine crackers, Raman noodles (lotsa sodium there), Lipton pouch meals, a can or two of spam, some Bushes baked beans, chili, and you are good to go. Maybe a few cans of Noodle O's, or whatever the kids like too...

HMMM good thoughts....

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98938 - 07/02/07 05:36 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Mountain House Pouches are not TOO expensive. But canned chili is good. Spam, corned beef hash, ramen, peanut butter all last long and are pretty cheap.

We have a TON of canned soup just because it's easy to rotate and stores a couple years alone.

#98941 - 07/02/07 05:44 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
LED Offline
Veteran

I just bought a dehydrated food kit from HarmonyHouseFoods and I love it. I backpack and camp a lot and I pre-package my meals so all I have to do is add water. Actually, I've been using it at home for my regular meals too. Yes, you can dehydrate food yourself, but when its all said and done $50 for a variety of beans, vegetables, peppers, potato, etc, all wrapped in their own little baggies is a pretty good deal.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/mainhome.html

#98957 - 07/02/07 02:44 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: Todd W]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Mountain House Pouches are not TOO expensive. But canned chili is good. Spam, corned beef hash, ramen, peanut butter all last long and are pretty cheap.

We have a TON of canned soup just because it's easy to rotate and stores a couple years alone.

So if it is not too expensive, where are you purchasing it. I don't have a reference point to tell if stuff is expensive or not. Just comparing completely different packages.

Thanks

#98958 - 07/02/07 03:09 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you go here you will see the MSRP, that will give you a pretty good idea of what you should pay...

#98964 - 07/02/07 04:25 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Lots of information. www.beprepared.com

#98970 - 07/02/07 06:40 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Quite a few years ago when I was an impoverished college student, I used to rely heavily on peanut butter, canned tomato soup, and packaged macaroni & cheese. The budget didn't run to more than that (except for 2 beers every other Friday at the local pub, which was essential nourishment for the soul). As a diet it kept me healthy, but a 20-year-old is a pretty resilient beast. I'm not sure what it would do for/to me now.

Frank 2135

#98971 - 07/02/07 06:54 PM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
What is your goal?
72 hours?
SHTF?
TEOTWAWKI?

For the basic 72 hour scenario why not just stock up on canned items you already eat that only need heating?

For the longer term scenarios you probably need to go with freeze dried, dehydrated and MRE's.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.