Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#99106 - 07/04/07 01:40 PM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: Alex]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, yes, all this is somewhat rhetorical once the situation is upon us. The context of the whole thing seems to be to first understand that a thing can be done, then to develop a mindset such that when confronted with a given situation, you can use the best tool you have to find the solution. I go back to the Anthony Hopkins mantra that 'what one man can do, another can do" in expounding that it isn't the equipment or the training necessarily as much as it is the recognition of the usefulness and adaptability that will determine our success in preserving our skins. Practicing a skill set has dual value in that should you face like circumstances with like gear, you can duplicate the results. But more importantly, can you adapt what you've learned or can you use such knowledge to help solve other problems? Can you figure out what to do when the variables change, and execute it in time to do you any good? There will always be something more you wished you'd have included in your edc when the bubble pops. The trick is to try and make what you have at hand work for you. How long did Tom Hanks' character try to make the fireplow work before he finally was successful? Obviously trying to master certain skills is more desirable as a pre-emptive effort. But don't pigeon hole what you've learned into a limitation on what is possible.

Think Man! Here's the equation, go solve it. Use sticks, use stones, but for Booddah's sake, use your noggin!!!

#99108 - 07/04/07 02:03 PM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Think? Man.. it's summer vacation... wink
I've managed fairly easily to get dry cotton balls to light up (as well as the with PJ added). So far for other tinder I've tried dry grass, dog hair (she's shedding like mad), crushed leaves and poorly-carved fire sticks. No cat tails grow around here.

Probably going to BBQ tonight; will try my hand at char cloth before I throw meat on the grill. It'll give me something else to try.

I suppose a better add-on to my original statement would be, how do I improve with natural tinders? I can carry a billion cotton balls, but eventually they'll run out, y'know?

#99117 - 07/04/07 04:10 PM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: MDinana]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Its human nature (as a group) to be lazy. Move a few steps up the ladder of ease, and the third generation won't know what to do if they're pushed back two steps. It doesn't matter if its in the making of fire, catching of food, or washing of laundry. There are (some) people now who can't figure out how to get into their cars if the battery on their electronc door opener dies.

There was an old movie about an upper crust English couple who get stranded on an island with their butler. The couple were helpless. It was the butler who knew how to do a lot to keep them alive.

Can you imagine the horror of six teenagers stranded on a tropical island with no batteries?

If Ishi couldn't start a fire, how did he burn his hair off?

Sue

#99157 - 07/05/07 12:58 AM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: Susan]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

this has truly been an interesting read. In my opinion friction fire can be had with any wood so long as the conditions are right.

Two years ago Cody Lundin, Tom Robinson, and I started a handrill fire with Desert Ironwood. Yes, it took the three of us and ripped my hands up, but none the less we did it.

Since then, I've managed to get coals with Oak and other hardwoods... for fun!

I still carry a flare and a lighter.

Alan

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.