Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98871 - 06/30/07 09:21 PM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: KenK]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I've seen Chariots of Fire twice and it hasn't help my fire-making skills one bit.

LOL grin grin grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#98929 - 07/02/07 03:20 AM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: Blast]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The flaw with developing a 'survivor' mindset is the mental template of what we do to survive.We all have this Walter Mitty moment of imagining the day when FINALLY, one of us actully gets to pull our PSK out,initiate the STOP ancronym ( or in my case- What the BLANK was I supposed to do next?)and begin doing ABC... So what if we DO fail miserably to make a fire? What do we do instead?

#98931 - 07/02/07 03:54 AM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...What do we do instead?..."

Look for someone to buy beg borrow or steal some from???

(I'm serious by the way)

#98962 - 07/02/07 03:39 PM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Chris, your posts are full of old American and British cultural references, to the extent that it's hard for me to follow. When you post, I have Wikipedia and Merriam-Webster ready. Last time I had to watch Monty Python sketches on youtube. Now I have to rent The secret life of Walter Mitty movie.

#98993 - 07/03/07 01:25 AM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Walter Mitty == mall ninja

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98995 - 07/03/07 01:38 AM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Cliff notes on old Walter...

#99023 - 07/03/07 04:24 AM Re: Starting a Fire [Re: OldBaldGuy]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Funny, my Walter Mitty moments happen mostly during work. Almost all during work. Funny that... blush

#99089 - 07/04/07 04:36 AM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: Nicodemus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus

Granted, I could always carry a bow drill kit with me, but at that point it's easier to carry matches, a lighter, or a fire steel. Still, it's good to have the knowledge as a backup and I practice often. I'll get back to the idea of carrying "modern" tools with you in a moment.

At the risk of going off tangent, I bought a firesteel about 3 weeks ago. Apparently it's a pretty, useless tool in my hands. I've been practicing for a while, but can't get past the sparking stage. Am I doing something wrong, or just fire-impaired? Any help/advice appreciated.....

#99090 - 07/04/07 04:56 AM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: MDinana]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Tinder is the key. Try to make some char cloth in the cooking foil, and then practice igniting it with the firesteel. Then move to some more readily available tinder like cotton balls. At some point you'll feel how it works.

Edited by Alex (07/04/07 04:57 AM)

#99105 - 07/04/07 01:11 PM Re: Starting a Fire -Possible thread hijack! [Re: MDinana]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Without seeing what you're doing, it'd be hard to give much advice, but there are a few common areas where people go wrong.

Tinder:
As Alex mentioned above, tinder is a key part of getting a spark to catch, and with that thought in mind, I carry tinder "just in case". I usually try to start a fire with tinder I find out in nature, but even so I always carry tinder with me as a backup.

Light and fluffy is the general idea you want to think about when looking for tinder. What that means is surface area and oxygen, essentially. Another important factor is that your tinder needs to be dry unless it's something like WetFire Tinder.

Natural tinders such as cattail down, milkweed silk, cedar bark, some other finely shaved dry woods and grasses, some dry mosses and fungi, and so on work well.

Prepared tinders such as cotton balls saturated with vaseline, drier lint, char cloth, Tinder-Quick, Mayadust, etc. work well. Some of the prepared tinders such as Tinder-Quick and WetFire Tinder use chemicals that ignite quickly when a spark is added to quicken the process.

Start with something easy like cattail down, a fluffed cotton ball or drier lint and once you see how quickly those will catch with a firesteel you can move on to other tinders with some confidence that it's possible.

On another note, form is important as well.

I can't remember who mentioned it, but an ETS forum member shared the idea that instead of pushing the knife or sparker down a firesteel toward the tinder, it's better to hold the knife or sparker in place and draw the firesteel backward to prevent accidental scattering of the tinder. That idea helped me a lot.

Edited by Nicodemus (07/04/07 01:11 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.