Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9863 - 10/09/02 08:36 PM Lost Hikers
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Just a short note on an incident that occurred here in Maryland this past weekend. Our local paper reported on two families that were lost Sunday night at Sugar-loaf Mountain Park were found safe. The two families, which included four children under the age of 8, were reported missing after did not arrive home from their trip to the park. Police said the families were found 6 a.m. Monday morning uninjured. It was reported the families had a lighter but no flashlights. Pete

#9864 - 10/09/02 09:23 PM Re: Lost Hikers
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's... odd. I used to walk in that region. I guess it's not impossible to get lost on those trails, but the longest loop (to White Rocks) is only about 7 miles round trip, and Stronghold isn't that big- go in a straight line in any direction and you'll hit civilization pretty quick- I'd think in a mile or two. I guess you could just keep circling on the trails...<br><br>There are, however, rattlesnakes at White Rocks. A lot of rattlesnakes on the less-travelled, sunny, rocky slopes. There are good and bad ways to find that out...<br>

#9865 - 10/10/02 04:10 AM Re: Lost Hikers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not too odd to me. We had a lady from the city get lost in the nature preserve I live on. Are property is about 80 acres in size in a suburban area. She was from the city and out of her element. <br><br><br>Chris

#9866 - 10/10/02 01:57 PM Re: Lost Hikers
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I agree, it would seem difficult at best to get lost in that area, especially if one sticks to the trails. I do not know if they left the trail or were caught by darkness. Our team is trying to find out some additional details, since we were not dispatched on the call and should have been. We perform several rescues there each year, but it is usually for injured climbers or hikers. Pete

#9867 - 10/10/02 06:12 PM Re: Lost Hikers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. They provide siimple trail maps at the gate and trailheads and there are plenty of blazes and signs. Not to mention the whole "mountain" (a hill of 1200 or so? feet) is surrounded by farms and cut-through w/ dirt/gravel roads and horse trails leading to them. A friend of ours once got lost on the billy goat trail and literally had to be picked up by the NPS in a boat, being unaware that the trail is bordered on one side by the potomac river and on the other by the 80+mile long towpath. The best survival equipment is your brain.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 428 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.