Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98147 - 06/22/07 07:18 AM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: Alex]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Zinc Carbon (heavy duty) batteries, have very little capacity and can not handle high discharge rates. Which means they can only be used in equipment that uses very little power.

It's basically an outdated and not practical.

#98150 - 06/22/07 07:47 AM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: Alex]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
I just stocked up for the storm season. My personal preference is Duracell, but this year I bought the Duracell Procell batteries in bulk. Check out batterystore.com
I bought 250 batteries of various sizes for $125 including shipping. That is a fraction of what I paid at Sams club last year.

#98161 - 06/22/07 01:47 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: Chuck]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I buy name brand "AA" in bulk because that's the size I have in my primary gear. I keep enough "AAA" batteries to keep my small lights ready, but they don't get much actual use so I don't stock a lot. Same with "D" cells -- I keep enough to change the batteries in my 2 and 3 cell maglites (all w/ LED replacement bulbs) and that's about it. "AA" is the only size I need to stockpile for emergencies. Additionally, I bought a bunch of "AA" NiMH batteries and a solar charger -- that's a great option when you have reliable sun.

#98181 - 06/22/07 05:17 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: NightHiker]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Kewl, Then I will just get a larger rubbermaid container and put the batteries in there.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98198 - 06/22/07 07:41 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: redflare]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Because the shelf and service lives on them suck compared to a lithium or alkaline, zincs are pure 1960s tech. Once upon a time, they were the only ones that could manage devices that had a high initial load relative to the basic load IIRC, but that was 20, 30 years ago. Modern alkalines can and will take zincs to the woodshed every day, in any role.

For brands, I find duracell, rayovac (AVOID the red/blue ones, those suck, get the silver/black ones) and energizer work best for alkalines, duracell or surefire if it is lithiums.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98203 - 06/22/07 08:42 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: ironraven]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Name brands may last a little longer, but they cost a LOT more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNZG6E/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNSIA0/

80% of the capacity, 30% of the cost.

#98210 - 06/22/07 10:54 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lithium Energizer AA and AAA cells are the best. They are lightweight, work down to -40 degrees Celsius (Alkaline Cells begin to fail around 0 degrees Celsius) and have a higher energy capacity than the best Alkaline Cells together with a longer shelf life. In high drain devices the differences between Lithium and Alkaline cells are even greater. An example would be for a flashlight (Fenix L2T) shown below

At a lower current drain the differences are less marked,

The downside is than Lithium Cells are considerably more expensive. Typically a good Alkaline (Duracell) would be around $0.40 compared to the Energizer Lithium at $2.00 each.

I would recommend the current high performance NiMH Eneloop cells from Sanyo with a good quality charger (own brand Sanyo would be decent enough). The Sanyo Eneloop cells keep their charge much longer than ordinary NiMh cells. A portable solar panel and battery charger would be useful also as a backup.

So if the application for your batteries is absolutely crucial and has to work in a wide variety of temperatures and the requirement for a very long shelf life then the Energizer Lithium AA and AAA cells cannot be bettered. For all other requirements then the Sanyo Eneloops will be better than standard Alkaline Cells as they can be recharged up to 1000 times and will be much more economic over the long term and much more environmentally friendly also.

Edited by bentirran (06/22/07 10:56 PM)

#98583 - 06/27/07 09:02 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: DeathtoToasters]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
This thread... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64660 over at CandlePowerForums shows the results of testing done by a member over there called SilverFox. Good information and he performed his tests at several amperages to distinguish batteries that perform well at high draw from those that do well at low draw.

Happy hunting. smile

#98589 - 06/27/07 09:21 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: 7point82]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
ok I didn't mean to start such a long discussion smile

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#99361 - 07/08/07 08:27 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: DeathtoToasters]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I just go to Target and get the 24 pack of the name brands. Its plenty cheap. ( and also use piles of rechargeables.)

Teacher

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.