The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98530 - 06/27/07 06:50 AM Transporting camping fuel in planes
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Does anyone know if it is OK to transport camping fuel in checked luggage? I am talking about the MSR threaded top bottles.

#98531 - 06/27/07 07:38 AM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: redflare]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
TSA will have you stuffed, cuffed, AND labeled as a Terrorist, so fast it will make your head spin. IMHO, if you try to take those with you whether they are filled OR if they have held fuel in them before!

#98532 - 06/27/07 07:55 AM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: wildman800]
redflare Offline
Addict

Even in checked luggage?

What am I supposed to do? I am going on a camping trip and need to take a stove with me.

#98533 - 06/27/07 08:16 AM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: redflare]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
1) I would suggest you contact TSA and get the facts. I think, based on a experience I had in 1999, when I declared an expended 76mm naval rifle shell upon checking in my baggage, its against FAA rules.

2) How about grabbing a sterno stove and sterno for this trip after you land??? Or some other cheap cook stove.

#98537 - 06/27/07 08:50 AM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: wildman800]
redflare Offline
Addict

Yep, you are right.

All fuels are prohibited by TSA
I guess I will just bring empty MSR containers and my stove and buy fuel at the destination.

#98542 - 06/27/07 12:29 PM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: redflare]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Though I much prefer using Coleman fueled stoves, I suppose if you're going to travel via airlines, the canister-fuels have an advantage in that you don't have to bring an "empty" fuel container on the plane with you.

Unfortunately you'll need to do some research prior to your trip to confirm a source of your specific kind of fuel at your final destination.

#98552 - 06/27/07 03:47 PM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: redflare]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Plan on buying your fuel at your destination. No fuel is ok on planes. Don't be suprised if your stove and fuel bottles have problems too. Fuel bottles like those MRS are on display at the airport as prohibited; even if there is any evidence of fuel left in the bottle they will take them. Many people have had problems with stoves as well.

Where are you headed
? You may want to UPS your stove and fuel to yourself at your destination or use whatever cooking system is available when you get there.

Edited by billym (06/27/07 05:19 PM)

#98555 - 06/27/07 04:33 PM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: redflare]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm afraid you cannot carry any fuel on board, but you should be able to carry a new empty fuel bottle and purchase your fuel at your destination, either paraffin, diesel, white gas etc.
The problem with the bottle is the red colour and the warning signs saying flammable and danger etc. Just get a Sigg neoprene water bottle cover. It says Sigg on the side and most will think it is a just a camping water bottle. You will of course have to show that it is empty. If it comes down to the empty fuel bottle being confiscated you could always have a backup Sigg water bottle to act as an emergency fuel bottle. But this only works if you are using something like a Primus Stove Pump as this will fit the threads on a Sigg water bottle (MSR has a different thread). If both bottles are confiscated then it may be useful to carry some gas adapters such as the gasmate adapter, the Markill Campingaz Adapter and the and 6.3oz Markill Pierceable gas cartridge adapters shown below

Gasmate adapter.

Markill Campingaz Adapter

6.3oz Markill Pierceable gas

By carrying these adapters it would allow you to use the majority of gas canister types available at your destination with a Primus Omnifuel Stove.

#98598 - 06/27/07 11:04 PM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: redflare]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
It's illegal to tender for carry any HazMat in your luggage. Signage is all over the place at check-in counters etc. If TSA finds it in your checked bags they'll play hell with you.

Purchase new "unused" fuel bottles to carry in your bag. Old "used" ones can still have a trace (smell) of old fuel. TSA will frown on that too.

Get whatever fuel you need at destination. Plan on either shipping the empty fuel bottles back to yourself via UPS/FedEx or just giving them away before you get back on the plane for the trip home.

Follow this advise, and you'll be fine and avoid trouble with the TSA (Thousands Standing Around).

Edited by 91gdub (06/27/07 11:04 PM)

#98603 - 06/27/07 11:30 PM Re: Transporting camping fuel in planes [Re: billym]
redflare Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: billym

Where are you headed
? You may want to UPS your stove and fuel to yourself at your destination or use whatever cooking system is available when you get there.

Going to Rocky Mountains NP.
How would I UPS them to myself? I have never done this.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.