The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9843 - 10/09/02 02:29 PM primative fire lighting
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
Out of curiosity has anyone ever actualy tried any of the primative techniques such as the bow drill or the flint and steel.<br><br>Did you actually manage to light a fire with it.

#9844 - 10/09/02 02:55 PM Re: primative fire lighting
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes I learned the bowdrill as a young boy from an Apache. No, he was not Tom Brown's mentor, but a cowboy who taught me to ride horses. He then told me to keep matches on my person at all times LOL. There is a great deal of personal satisfaction learning these skills. You also appreciate the marvelous advances in equipment, as did our common ancestors worldwide. A "shaman" teaching me his celestial cosmology- " and what's that star? thats a satelite you dummie!"

#9845 - 10/09/02 04:02 PM Re: primative fire lighting
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I tried the flint and steel with some success. It took me some time to find the right steel and the proper striking technique. The sparks arenīt too hot. You need a really good tinder for that.<br>I prefer more modern equipment, when I have to count on it. When I use two sticks for firelighting, I make sure one of them is a match. ;-)<br><br>

#9846 - 10/09/02 04:08 PM Re: primative fire lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

The wife bought me one of those primitive fire kits that they sell online. Using the raw piece of flint, steel, char cloth and cotton wool that came in the kit, I managed to get a fire going. It wasn't easy and it took several tries before I got it right and actually acheived flame. I would imagine that the more this system was used, that we would eventually get better at using it, that or we'd get smart and do what our ancestors did. That'd be, carry a smoldering coal with us as we traveled. ; - )

#9847 - 10/09/02 05:20 PM Re: primative fire lighting
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Has anyone tried a fire piston? Pete

#9848 - 10/09/02 05:50 PM Re: primative fire lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've used a bow drill as well. It takes some getting used to but it is SURPRISINGLY easy (once you've made everything and know the technique). I've also tried a firepiston...although I didn't make mine. I ordered it from http://www.firepistons.com/ (no, I'm not connected with site)<br>Being able to start a fire in the wild provides alot of comfort. The firepiston is WAY better than matches. The wind doesn't blow it out and you can replenish the firepiston in the wild.

#9849 - 10/09/02 07:55 PM Re: primative fire lighting
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Thanks for the web site. I had been to this site before and found it informative, but could not remember the address. I went ahead and ordered a fire piston. I let you all know have it works for me. Pete

#9850 - 10/10/02 06:01 PM Re: primative fire lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes I have, <br>I tried the hand drill for years and to this day have not made it work. but a few months ago I dicided to try the bow drill. and with the knolege and skills I had picked up from the hand drill I maneged it. <br>if you want ot hyave ago then A find out all you possable can about it B don't read the section in the sas survival giud and C practice and practice and DON'T GIVE UP. it is possable I tought my self to do it from books.<br>and once you've done it, try it with lots of different types of wood. <br>are you going to have a go at it?!<br>and Chris is right there is a lot of satisfaction learning this type of skill.<br>-james<br>P.S sorry about the typos and spelling i'm in a rush!

#9851 - 10/10/02 06:52 PM Re: primative fire lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Flint and steel may be an old invention but its not really "primitive" in the sense of being backward -- i.e. zippo lighters light with a tiny flint and a steel. I think flint and steel is actually more reliable and makes more sense than matches, which can get wet or deteriorate no matter how much you protect them. Also they only work once (read "to build a fire" by Jack London). There's a neat little flint you can get thats made by Coughlan's and costs around $3. You can make a veritable shower of hot sparks with it by scraping it with the blade of a pocket knife. Aim it at some good tinder, like a cotton ball, and "poof" instant fire. Its even attached to a magnesium block thats supposed to also function as tinder but I never needed it.

#9852 - 10/11/02 02:52 AM Re: primative fire lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ohhhh, fire pistons!!!!! Looks like I'll be shelling out more hard-earned dough for fire starting redundancy! LOL<br><br>John McIntire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.