Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#98613 - 06/28/07 02:22 AM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, you definitely know what you want. I'm sure we all have a pretty good idea what we're looking for in a tool, just have to find somebody who makes it. Or get them to make it, or make our own...

As far as stealth EDC, in my case it's strictly to maintain ability to have useful things handy, without attracting attention so that somebody makes up another stupid rule. It's not like I'm trying to sneak anything by security or metal detectors. Just don't want to put any ideas into the heads of those who like to ban things "for the better good", when usually all it does is promote their job security and hinder others in doing their own jobs. I'm sure you know what I mean. Security needs a proper analysis to implement, not somebody randomly removing "freedoms" that superficially sound like enhancing security. smile

FWIW, I could not even carry small screwdrivers and electronics-sized wire cutters on domestic Canadian flights 20 years ago, so it's nothing new. Mainly I was afraid of landing at my dest and not having any tools to do anything, something that happened more than once (delayed/lost baggage). But there are ways to do it. A Leatherman is a fairly decent disguise for a useful tool, but may not pass muster everywhere depending on model.

#98636 - 06/28/07 05:51 AM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
1/4" hex bits inside the handle is because they're just too damned bulky

Try the tool store version of the dollar store. I recently found a ratcheting 1/4" hex driver that's about 5" long X 1" dia. & can hold four bits in the handle. IIRC the name of the chain is Tools & More.

#98642 - 06/28/07 08:26 AM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
simplesimon Offline

I know this is probably blasphemy on this site; but if you don't want to carry a knife and a blade on the multitool (cos of one ounce of redundancy). Why carry a knife?
Survivorman only carries a multi tool and it seems to do everything. It's more defensible in court and in the UK is the only way of carrying a locking blade legally.
Or you could stop worrying about trivia like an ounce of steel extra to carry...
simon

#98656 - 06/28/07 03:37 PM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: simplesimon]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I hate to say this but as a perfectionist, I know exactly what you're going through.

We need to stop worrying, and start living! :-)

Over the years I bought many knives... Moras, countless Victorinox SAKs, a Delica 4, LM Fuse, a Spyderco Bill Moran fixed blade... all pretty cool items, however I realized at one point that the amount of time and money I was wasting on knives was tremendous.

Oh, and umm... my last purchase was a Leatherman Juice S2 and is now my tool of choice for everyday chores and the great outdoors.

#98660 - 06/28/07 04:22 PM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
simplesimon Offline

Does anyone know what the 'hex bolt construction' that SOG multi tools means. Can you swap blades with a key?
simon

#98760 - 06/29/07 05:52 AM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: cfraser]
dchang0 Offline
stranger

cfraser, I hear your every word. Seems like we've all been through the same situations no matter where we are...

Strange that 20 years ago you couldn't bring small screwdrivers on board a plane. I remember that as short as 15 years ago, I flew across the US with a Buck folder in my pocket. It had a 1.5" to 2" drop-point blade too, not a teeny little Swiss Army penknife. I put it through the x-ray machine and none of the screeners even mentioned it. (I think they were only trained to look for bombs back then.) Interesting that US TSA regulations were more lax than Canadian regulations.

Somebody else just posted something about the actual odds of dying by various means--I find it hilarious that people have a 1-in-5 chance of dying by heart disease vs. 1-in-325 by firearm, and yet they want to ban guns but not Big Macs. And even though suicide is banned, the bans clearly aren't working, with a 1-in-121 chance of dying by self-inflicted injury.

That last fact says a lot about our leaders' ability to "save us from ourselves," both literally and figuratively...

Oh well, until they make the multitool I need, I'll just keep carrying my Charge until they stop me at the checkpoint. These places could make a fortune if they installed coin-op lockers just outside the checkpoints. The Bit Dr. I preordered should be here in about a month and a half, which will prove useful for those more-paranoid clients.

#98769 - 06/29/07 11:31 AM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dchang0

I've emailed Leatherman about the concept of a "repairman's multitool." For wilderness/aircraft/marinecraft survival kits, this would probably be a secondary multitool to accompany a primary, standard multitool like the Charge. One would use the "repairman's multitool" to repair higher-tech survival gear--we're not talking about rigging shelter but perhaps fixing something like a GPS receiver, aircraft console, or perhaps even a small motor like those found in a portable generator. Situations where finely-threaded screws that are usually hard-to-get-to and fine electrical wiring are common.

For now, I'd just be happy if they introduced a flat-bit extension, and I'll email them about that right now. That would make my Charge a much more functional bit driver.

Thanks again for all the replies!

I have a small kit for electronic repair made from the three leatherman squirt's (S2, P4, EL) it gives a lot of redundancy though and I'dreally like a small pair of diagonla cutters instead of scissors.
A flat bit extension would be pretty easy to make by grinding down a regular extension.

#98799 - 06/29/07 06:59 PM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
DougM Offline

Law does not(and cannot) PREVENT crime (this is not the purpose of criminal law in any case, laws DEFINE criminal activity and prescribe penalties for said crimes. (obvious isn't it, yet how many people have never considered this?)

#98849 - 06/30/07 12:05 PM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: dchang0]
HerbG Offline

Didn't Gerber at one time let you custom order a multitool and specify which tools your wanted? I can't find any information on their website now, but I think they did at one time. Even if they didn't and still don't, somebody should!

#98851 - 06/30/07 12:45 PM Re: a multitool for EDC knife owners? [Re: simplesimon]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: simplesimon
... in the UK is the only way of carrying a locking blade legally.
I'm aware of a fairly recent court-case in which someone was acquitted for a Swiss Tool. Was that based on a binding precedent, or did it create one? I wouldn't rely on it myself.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.