Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#98205 - 06/22/07 09:01 PM Re: I have to say.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Anyone seen or heard of this company? I spoke to them and it sounds very good.

This description of their products looks great also:

http://1stopfoodstorage.com/guarantee.html

Thoughts?

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98207 - 06/22/07 09:28 PM Re: I have to say.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Don't know anything about that company but a quick check of their site revealed this:
Food items are packaged in #10-1 gallon cans, except for "Soups & Sauces" which are packaged #5-1/2 gallon cans.

Those are big cans and the ability to store leftovers will probably be comprimised if you had to start eating from these. Perhaps you should buy a few 1-gallon cans of stuff and see if your family can eat it all in one sitting. If so, the large size won't be a problem.

Don't forget to add seasonings and spices to you stash. EVERYTHING tastes better with some cajun seasonings!

Should we start this over in a new thread with a more appropriate title?

-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/22/07 09:30 PM)
Edit Reason: added another thought
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#98209 - 06/22/07 09:59 PM Re: I have to say.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Welcome aboard, D2T!

It seems like LDS members would have a few sources in the realm of foods for storage. Shouldn't we be asking you who has the best deals? J/K grin

I've never dealt with the company you posted a link to. They say that their packages are 2200 calories a day worth of food so it doesn't seem too expensive at about $2.73 per meal, 3 meals a day, for 365 days (Premiere Pak).

As deals go, that doesn't seem too bad at all, but I can't comment on the quality.

Their proteins are listed as VegMeat, which I assume is TVP (textured vegetable protein) with flavor additives. A lot of companies do this, but others such as Mountain House include real meat in their packs.

With that said, if you get a year's supply Mountain House Main Entree Pak, you only get one cup of food per meal and it'll cost you about $800.00. On the other hand, the Mountain House Ultimate Pak, which offers the main entree plus sides and extras cost around $3400.00. Please note that I'm recalling the prices from memory, so I could be off.

I can at least say that I have had a number of Mountain House products and that a good portion of them were tasty.

#98219 - 06/23/07 02:44 AM Re: I have to say.... [Re: Nicodemus]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Are there are ways to reseal or get a temp lid on top of the #10 cans until we reuse them?

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#98256 - 06/23/07 07:08 PM Re: I have to say.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
They do make plastic lids that will fit those cans. I used to collect such things when I was going through cans of folgers once a week back in the day. They aren't tight at all, but they do keep the bugs outta the food, more or less. One of those lids and some duct tape is a lot better, but still only temporary. Better still is to have another container to transfer the contents into that is more suitable for opening and closing with a more positive seal. I used to collect Plastic jars from Costco that they sold various nuts and snacks in. The lids were screw on, and fairly watertight. I would take bulk foods, including stuff in #10 cans, and load them into those jars and they would keep pretty darned good. If I went on camping trips, I would transfer most all of my dry goods into jars like that, or sometimes just use ziplocs if it wasn't too rough and tumble and I was gonna use the contents quicker.

I've seen some cans that are more like paint cans with compression lids that can be pounded on/pryed off with fairly watertight integrity. They do wear out quicker than the plastic jars, but it is an alternative.

The only other thing I can think of is to caulk the lid back in place, if you are careful and have the time to let it cure.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.