Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9819 - 10/14/02 02:30 PM Re: Advanced First Aid kit for Car/Camp
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are simply going to carry a kit in the car, think in terms of airway, breathing, and circulation. Not fracture or spinal immobilization. Anything that you apply (splints, etc) is lost when the patient is loaded in an ambulance. A delay of 5 or even 30 minutes in splint application to someone stretched out on the ground following an MVA is insignificant (IMHO).<br><br>I think that you can assemble a far more suitable kit for your own purposes than you can purchase commercially.<br>Don't know about the other MD's on the list, but I would not bother with charcoal. It interferes with other treatments in certain overdoses, is a tremendous mess, and largely ineffective.<br><br>The kit that I carry in my truck REQUIRES a truck to carry it, almost. I do think that you could assemble a multi-purpose waterproof kit that is not excessively heavy or bulky if you stick to basics and don't get distracted.<br><br><br>

#9820 - 10/14/02 10:14 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like a well established kit, Polak187. What exactly is charcoal used for, though? I've heard it can be dangerous if you don't know how/when to use it. And Ciprio, is that the antibiotic popularized by the Antrax attacks?<br><br>Dr. Anderson, I keep my modified Adventure Medical Kit inside of a large zip-loc bag, which keeps it water-proof for the most part.<br><br>This is what I added to my AMK to make it my Personal Survival Kit:<br>-Buck Crosslock Hunter<br>-Pocket Chainsaw<br>-50 NATO lifeboat matches<br>-50 feet of 550 paracord<br>-Signal mirror<br>-Mini Fox 40 whistle<br>-Knot-tying card<br>-Brunton 9210 compass<br>-Topo & Political map of Missouri<br>-50 Potable Aqua tablets<br>-Tacoma Mountain Resuce Shelter<br>-24 feet Duct tape<br>-Sparklite with 12 pieces of tinder<br>-Bic lighter<br>-Snare wire<br>-24 piece fishing kit w/ gaff<br>-Inova X5 Tactical LED light w/ spare batteries<br>-2 large clear trash bags<br>-3 feet surgical tubing<br>-3 feet HD aluminum foil<br>-30 Vicodin tablets<br>-30 5mg Vailium tablets (Diazepam)<br>-4 Camel Special Lights cigarettes (Can't help it!)<br><br>This is my PSK, I do not opt for the whole "Altoids Tin" thing...although it's a great idea. In my line of work, as well as, to and from school...this kit is easily thrown in my backseat or my backpack. I'm in the process of taking pictures of the kit and listing the full contents as we speak, and I will post it ASAP.<br><br>John McIntire

#9821 - 10/15/02 11:29 AM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Hey John,<br><br>Activated liquid charcoal is used for emergency poisoning situations. It is also used (in tablet form) with stomach pains and to regulate mild stomach problems. I don't know if Ciprio is popularized by Antrax attacks but I've always had a current supply since the day I started climbing. It's a general antibiotic that can be used to treat variety of symptoms. <br><br>Matt

#9822 - 10/15/02 12:54 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
NAro Offline
Addict

John, were you kidding.. or do you really pack 30 5mg. Valium? If you do, why? What would you use Valium tablets for in a medical or survival emergency?

#9823 - 10/15/02 06:04 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Matt, Thanks for the info.<br><br>NAro, yes I do pack 30 5mg Valium tablets...basically beacuse I have the extra room, but more importantly because some people are prone to anxiety, or "panic attacks" when faced with shock and injuries. I just consider it a good addition to my kit, and I use it with extreme discretion only to my family members or friends.<br><br>John McIntire

#9824 - 10/15/02 07:42 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would not administer a controlled substance to anyone other than for whom and the reason it was prescribed, especially friends and never to someone in biological shock. Without the medical knowledge of what medications to which the individual maybe allergic, current medications which might have adverse interactions and the ability of being to reverse with an antagonist drug, you are playing with fire. Giving someone this drug to "calm them down" or reduce panic attacks, during a crisis, is not in my opinion justified. I have talked many individuals down from panic attacks and other psychological disorders enough to be able to treat them and transport to the hospital without medications. We reserve this medication for sustained seizures and to conduct medical procedures such as cardoversion or cardiac pacing in a conscious patient. We also have a medication to reverse the effects if needed. I would want individuals in an emergency situation to be able focus on the problem at hand, with a clear head. Just my opinion - Pete

#9825 - 10/15/02 09:14 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me rephrase my post, my girlfriend is prescribed Valium for her infrequent panic attacks because Xanax pretty well knocks her on her butt, and is useless for the whole day. (LOL) I was also prescribed Valium when it was thought I had Multiple Sclerosis (diagnosis still not given, leading towards BP Vertigo), which led to anxiety. I originally didn't want to say anything about her, or me...but she doesn't read these. In my experience, it has proven very usefull in situations where anxiety is involved, and would never give it to someone to whom it wasn't prescribed. I just wanted to clear this up so you all don't think I'm handing out drugs like Halloween candy. Thanks for your opinion and input Pete.<br><br>John McIntire

#9826 - 10/16/02 03:54 AM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
John: Why not just say that you and/or someone you commonly travel with has a prescription and that you would not recommend carrying it as a "general purpose" fix? <br><br>I don't know what the law is in the US, but in Canada there are fairly serious consequences to giving out prescription drugs without medical authorization - more so if you cause an adverse reaction, especially one resulting in death. One should always carry an ample supply of prescription meds, if you or someone in your party have a prescription for them. Other prescription drugs that you carry should only be administered if you can get a doctor (even by radio or cellular phone) to authorize you.

#9827 - 10/16/02 01:28 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
In the US as long as you don't overextend yourself in terms of providing care you are good to go. If you do everything you could withing the scope of practice and skills, you are fine. If there are no negligence on your part you are also fine. This will also apply to private people as well as EMTs (not on duty) under good Samaritan Law. But giving prescription drugs to a stranger would be considered a distribution of controlled substance, endangerment, murder atempt and maybe accessory to the murder. As an EMT you can help administer prescriptions after consulting on-line medical direction. <br><br>But I don't think that John goes around and gives Valium to everyone who has a bad day. He has a loved one and him to take care of and keeps it there just in case. Sometimes even I wish I had Valium in my kit so I can calm down nervous hikers who lost their and begin to panic. There is nothing worst than leading hyper person down the slope who clinges and makes sudden moves which can bring me and him/her down any minute. <br><br>Matt

#9828 - 10/16/02 01:35 PM Re: Advanced First Aid Kit = MY PSK
NAro Offline
Addict

Gotta chime in here and agree with paramedicpete. If someone is carrying prescription medication for their own appropriate use, that's not my issue (though the use of any benzodiazapine for treating panic attacks is a whole different topic..I'll spare you!)<br>There are some emergency situations in which physiological symptoms of anxiety are appropriate and functional! I'd rather see (for instance) some rapid breathing and heart pounding than suppress those functions with any drug. Panic/anxiety per-se are miserable, but not emergencies. It is very unusual for a panic attack to last more than 15 to 30 minutes. In fact, if symptoms lasted longer than that I would be concerned that what is really going on is some other true emergency (causing respiratory distress) and would not want to have masked that finding. On the other hand, I can think of no psychiatric/psychological symptom for which ORAL medication is appropriate in an actual emergency.<br><br>I wish we in the forum had split our dialog into PSK-as-in-emergency-survival-stuff vs another kit of comfort and convenience items. Then I wouldn't disagree so much with the Valium, threads.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.