The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97819 - 06/19/07 03:31 AM Maxpedition Versipacks
chubs Offline
stranger

Hi!
I was wondering if I could get some advice on something.
I've never really used a waist/shoulder pack before and I was just wondering what people thought about using one for EDC or a BOB bag.

I've been looking at the Maxpedition Thermite, Proteus or fatboy. Any recommendations for or against any of these models?

Thanks in advance. This is my first post here but I've been reading your posts and this sounds like a great source of knowledge.

smile

#97820 - 06/19/07 03:38 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome new guy!

I think that an EDC bag and a BOB bag are two different things. One kindasorta small, the other approaching the max weight you are able to carry (and you do have a place to bug out TO, right?) I have never owned or handled any of the packs you mentioned, but I have a sneaking feeling that none of them will do dual purpose. EDC has got to be pretty compact, or you will soon find yourself not carrying it. I hope I haven't burst your bubble, just my opinion...

#97822 - 06/19/07 03:53 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Welcome Chubs,
I currently use a Maxpedition Typhoon as EDC and a Falcon II as a B.O.B.,both equipped for concealed carry if needed. I also have a MaxP Fatboy that is used for certain occasions. I have had excellent service from all three in addition to some add-on pouches, also MaxP. I hafta agree with OBG on his points about EDC vs BOB. EDC has got to be relatively light weight and compact to be effective.

#97825 - 06/19/07 04:08 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, as OBG pointed out, EDC (a part of you) and BOB (one of your best friends) are very different and needed to be discussed differently. If EDC, what do you carry? If BOB, how far do you two have to go to get home, because none of the three are really suited for more than 24 hours of gear.

You'll find some very good reviews of the Maxped gear over at edcforums.com, and also use the search option here, we've discussed them many times. When you look at their site, be very careful to look at the dimensions and use a ruler to get an idea of how big it really is; the model they use can't be over 5'6", he makes everything look huge. The Proteus is about the size of a good loaf of bread, the Fatboy is about the same size as the SpecOps PackRat (about the size of a hardcover novel).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97827 - 06/19/07 04:34 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: ironraven]
chubs Offline
stranger

Hey,
Thanks for all the quick replies. Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of an emergency prep kit that I could stash in the trunk or under the office desk rather than a BOB (Stupid me...had BOBs on the mind just a few minutes earlier). Sorry for the confusion.

One of the things I don't care for about shoulder bags is the way weight is distributed and how it can swing freely. I imagine the belt strap on the fatboy and the leg strap on the thermite would help while keeping everything within hand's reach.

Cheers again!

#97852 - 06/19/07 05:14 PM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Maxped is great stuff, but pricy for something to stash. For something like this, I'd wait until the post-back to school clearance and pick up a Jansport backpack on the cheap.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97873 - 06/19/07 10:14 PM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: ironraven]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Hey, thanks a lot for bringing Maxpedition to my attention. Just the kind of stuff I've been looking for, nothing like it in stores around here.

I stash stuff in lesser quality packs I really wouldn't like to carry for long. They mainly keep stuff together and clean/dry. Depends on your situation I guess, I can mostly get away with it, these lesser packs can be quickly put inside a good pack when needed.

#97900 - 06/20/07 02:04 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
The Thermite and Proteus have a pretty small main pocket - about 3" x6"x9". I really iiked my Proteus clone, but it was eventually just too small and limiting. The Fatboy or the Jumbo Fatboy are probably bigger.

#97905 - 06/20/07 03:02 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: saniterra]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I first had a Thermite, and I liked it, but it was a little on the small side for my EDC. I have since gone to the Jumbo and have been happy with it. I'm especially fond of the Nalgene sized pocket. I have it loaded with about 13 pounds (not counting water) of stuff and there's still room for me to toss in daily variable items (a papeback or whatever).

Bona Na Croin

#98121 - 06/22/07 01:51 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
I have three of their packs (Thermite, Monsoon, and Jumbo). I use the Thermite and Jumbo as an EDC, for sunglasses, books, water, and other junk I don't want to fill my pockets with, and the Monsoon for biking and day hikes. They are well built the hardware could be better, but that can be replaced.

Hope this helps,

Biscuits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.