Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#98052 - 06/21/07 01:07 PM Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

#98060 - 06/21/07 02:01 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
HAHAHA

My favorite diagram is the last one, showing the path of the "Crazy Sugar People".

Now, can you do a John Madden impression whilst drawing the "Chalk Talk" Lines on the screen that show what everyone is doing?

Good Stuff!

#98061 - 06/21/07 02:03 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
OK, here is my two cents worth: Buy a coffee maker with a timer to turn itself on 'bout ten minutes before your alarm goes off at oh dark thirty. Buy a large insulated coffee mug with lid (more about that later). Fill mug with coffee and whatever you like in it (altho to taste like coffee it should have nothing in it but coffee). Right before you walk out the door, put mug of coffee in microwave (make sure it is a plastic mug, no metal allowed) for 'bout 60 seconds. Drink your own coffee on the way to work, bypassing Fivebucks and the messy do-it-yourself coffee joints. Worked for me for about 30 years, and still does when we take a road trip or something.

Cute diagrams by the way...

#98062 - 06/21/07 02:05 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You've over-estimated the ability of a convenience store manager to comprehend or care. It's probably beyond his control anyway. Some dude at corporate who does things differently designed the station so you'll need to get to him to make any changes (BTW, he doesn't care either). What you've described though is a situation that you don't control and how you'd fix it if you were the minimum wage employee in charge of the coffee station.

Personally I wouldn't drink coffee from 7-11, WaWa (don't have those here) or a bus terminal. Why not bypass the coffee station entirely and brew your own at home? When I was into coffee I ground my own beans and filtered the water to get rid of any chlorine taste and metals that come with tap water (I made a great cup of coffee). Then you can get one of the many stainless steel 16 oz coffee travel mugs and take it with you instead of adding to the waste by crushing yet another styrofoam cup (which adds its own chemicals to the brew). Think of the stainless mug as a piece of kit wink

BTW, I used honey in my coffee, mellower flavor, doesn't give the same sugar spike.

#98103 - 06/21/07 08:10 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: NightHiker]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I'm guilty of doing the "sugar shaking" move..but I do it with 3 packets at a time(I only use 3 packets btw), thus cutting down my coffee prep time.

#98104 - 06/21/07 08:10 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Martin,
1st let me say that I always brew my own coffee to take with me to work. I start out with at SS commuter mug that I got as a gift (Starbucks model) that has a really nice tight lid and keeps coffee hot/warm for quite a while. Remainder of fresh brewed coffee goes into my thermos for my drinking pleasure throughout the day.
2nd as for cream/milk/half & half and or sugar/fake sugar never, ever have I had any in my coffee. I like my coffee large, hot and black thank you very much. No blonde sweeties for me.
3rd living in the Delaware Valley like you do I have the same options for "stroe bought" coffee. Tried them all and if I do buy one it's only from Wawa. Not perfect coffee but better than the rest.
As a BIG time coffee drinker I'd probably spend $20-30 per week if I went the "store bought" route. I'm way to cheap for that and make better coffee than they do anyway.
As for your commute I used to work in Queens and would commute from South Jersey every Monday returning on Friday. I feel you pain.

#98107 - 06/21/07 08:49 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Two words: Dunkin Donuts

Take Rt. 22 through P-burg and stop at the one on the westbound side, not the eastbound. Don't take the drive through, park on the side farthest from the door. Tell them that "Mr. Medium w/ just cream sent you" and they will surely give you the royal treatment.

P.S. When I do stop at Quick Check, I like to put in the half & half first, before the coffee. That way the turbulence from the coffee being poured in mixes it better.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#98109 - 06/21/07 09:15 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Thanks Martin! That made my day. I can remember the many times I stood in line and watched the antics of the "sugar people". You are spot on! Nice blog BTW.

kmat

#98110 - 06/21/07 09:27 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
I'm with OBG, but one step further. Braun and a few others now make coffee makers with built in grinders. The night before: load beans, cold water, set timer. I tend to alternate between catatonic and homicidal before the morning caffeine infusion.

M

I like my coffee like my women.

Dark and bitter.

#98113 - 06/21/07 10:36 PM Re: Why is it so hard to buy a cup of coffee? [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That is why I don't bother with coffee. If I need a refill, I just grab my carbonated, caffinated, nuke green sugar water out of the cooler. Unless they have some on the shelf. Hmm... Warm Dew...

I used to have a minimart gig in college, the coffee stands were the only thing that rivaled the hot dog thing for scary. Hot dogs that have been grilling for six hours, not much can top that.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.