Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#97853 - 06/19/07 05:15 PM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: NightHiker]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm curious how you got the Lat/Long, this particular map doesn't contain that info.

21st century Cyberspace warrior training and access to highly detailed satellite and airspace photographic intelligence of the continental United States. wink

#97890 - 06/20/07 12:55 AM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I was guessing Island (inland?) Lake too last night, but couldn;t post. I'm not sure if I used the right mapreading or not, but I was concentrating on that tight band of circles that I figured was the hill behind the lake.

#97915 - 06/20/07 04:38 AM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Google earth???

#97918 - 06/20/07 05:04 AM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
My guess is also island lake, next to the knob. The other hints are that there is a ridge to the right that comes down from ruffneck peak that joins the knob and there is another peak far across the valley beyond the knob and almost in line with it. Was the picture taken in the afternoon?

#97966 - 06/20/07 07:41 PM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: billym]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I was just trying to find some more follow-up info about Sgt Sprader this morning. I was saddened to see one article mention that "[Sgt Sprader's parents] have been disheartened by postings on Internet message boards that focus the blame on his son." (http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0607/2001_lawrence_sprader_update.html)

Although I had not complained about this particular thread to the moderators, I do agree that I thought it quickly became rather unseemly. I think that there is still a great divide among society at large between those who think everything on the Internet is anonymous or like a private chat with your friends at a bar after work, versus those who consider their postings to be an extension of how they would act in the real world and that everything we post can be found by the people we are discussing.

For me, when someone posts a story about someone who just died, I try to judge my words by first asking myself, "Would I feel comfortable saying this in the presence of this person's family at the upcoming funeral?" If not, I won't post my comment. And this was a poor story to discuss anyway because of the lack of details.

#98004 - 06/21/07 02:17 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I just re-read the entire thread and failed to find anything "unseemly".

I think, and I guess some other members feel the same way, otherwise the thread wouldn't have been locked, that some of the speculation raised by others seems to speak ill of Sgt Sprader unfairly.

Well, first, I say "unfairly" because this speculation is not based on facts. Suicide? Any evidence to suggest he committed suicide? Prohibited supplements? PTSD? Pride? Something like suicide is a serious thing to allude to when there is no factual basis to make that statement and is something that can really upset people who knew him. If he left a journal full of emotional turmoil, that's one thing, but there is no evidence to indicate that this was anything more than a terrible accident.

Secondly, raising these possibilities can be perceived as being disrespectful for the recently deceased. Even if the poster does not directly suggest that Sgt Sprader is/did these things, raising these issues in the context of the thread that also describes his death gives that impression. That's just the way it comes across. I'm sure that there are countless examples of well-meaning people who were just trying to be "helpful" or "informative" saying things that are perceived by others as "blaming the victim" or "speaking ill of the dead".

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point too much. If you honestly don't find a problem with the thread, OK, that's your opinion and your opinion is just a valid is mine. We all have varying sensibilities when it comes to what is or isn't appropriate in different situations. I'm just saying that I agree with those who had some issues with this thread.

#98024 - 06/21/07 03:11 AM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep Google Earth!

#98027 - 06/21/07 03:24 AM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: Arney]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I agree with Nighthiker that little if anything was said that was truly derogatory to Sgt Sprader. If the parents have access to the Army's investigative reports and notes, they'd be nowhere near as easy to manage as the speculation that's brewed in this thread. They'd be dealing with facts....and they can be tough...much tougher than what's been said here. One more thing, let's not forget we're not the only internet group talking about this soldier's demise.

Right now, and before, the parents and other family members are grieving. At this point in time, an obit in the local paper is a hard thing for them to read.

#98028 - 06/21/07 03:29 AM Re: Terrain Association Quiz (picture warning) [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Fun thing to play with...

#98053 - 06/21/07 01:27 PM Re: A not so happy ending; lost soldier in TX [Re: Arney]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I think, and I guess some other members feel the same way, otherwise the thread wouldn't have been locked, that some of the speculation raised by others seems to speak ill of Sgt Sprader unfairly.

I don't think the comments regarding Sgt. Sprader were what got the thread locked. And I agree with Nighthiker--the posts that commented on him specifically didn't seem to treat him badly. They expressed puzzlement more than anything alse. But, as you say, opinions can vary.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.