The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#98319 - 06/25/07 12:39 AM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: kevingg]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I hear this talk of the "risks of deet". it's been around and tested for something like 40 years and there is no evidence of harm (except to mosquitoes!).

The problem with DEET is that although it is an undoubtedly an effective insect repellent (but not the most effective) there is evidence to show its harmful effects. There may not be any deaths officially attributed directly to DEET (although there is some debate about its association with gulf war one syndrome, which itself officially doesn't exist either apparently). Just because its been in use for more than 40 years doesn't mean much either because it is very difficult to produce a medical study whereby diffuse brain cell death from its use 40 year prior to getting Alzheimer's disease is quite a challenging one to produce statistically.

Quote:
In tests where rats were exposed to DEET, it was found to kill cells in areas of the brain that control muscle coordination and cognition, the researcher noted that 'Damage to these areas could result in problems with muscle coordination, muscle weakness, walking, or even memory and cognition.'

Any target shooters out there, I wonder if DEET would make a difference to your performance?

#98330 - 06/25/07 02:36 AM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: kevingg]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wish I still had my first set of ALICE gear. It didn't like DEET, but the DEET found it yummy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98379 - 06/26/07 01:08 AM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: ironraven]
NYC2SoCal Offline
dedicated member

I think it really depends on where you are.. The worst condition I've been in required 100% DEET. That was the ONLY thing that worked against those baseball sized mosquitoes in Vietnam back in 1997.

Not thinking of the health concerns, the one thing I found interesting was how "accurate" the effectiveness timeframe was.. I forget whether I applied 6 times every 4 hours or 4 times every 6 hours, but the mosquitoes reminded me like clockwork.

The one thing I HATED were the mosquitoes hanging out under the chairs and tables.. Getting bit in the back of the knee sucks..

#98436 - 06/26/07 02:51 PM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: NYC2SoCal]
GrantC Offline

I've been using the REPEL all natural stuff (lemon eucalyptus) for several years now, and am quite happy with its performance. In a non-scientific test I did during a month-long stay in the woods (yes, a whole month) it proved better at repelling giant, blood-sucking Southern Oregon mosquitoes than Deep Woods Off.

-=[ Grant ]=-

#98442 - 06/26/07 04:45 PM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: GrantC]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I read up a little on mosquito repellents. It appears that DEET does not really repel. It makes you smell like a plant and so the mosquitoes are not interested in you. What attracts them is the smell of fermented sweat. Staying is sweaty clothes might have more to do with the mosquitoes biting than the kind of repellent you use.

Thoughts?

#98468 - 06/26/07 06:48 PM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: Craig_phx]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Here in South Lousy-anna, the beer we drink and the Cayenne pepper that we consume make our sweat unappetizng to the Lousy-anna State Bird - the MOSQUITO

#98490 - 06/26/07 10:24 PM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: wildman800]
LED Offline
Veteran

I had the opportunity to speak with a reasercher who specialized in mosquito borne illness and he confirmed that mosquitoes are also attracted to drastic color variations. I asked him this becasuse on one of my camping trips (which I nicknamed skeeter island) I noticed they literally swarmed around anything we had that was black or very dark colored, almost like it was bait. Apparently colors that don't contrast too drastically with the environment are better for keeping the skeeters away.

#98501 - 06/27/07 01:02 AM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: LED]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
That's simple. Mosquito's pray is any warmblooded animal. They have special IR receptors in their antennas for hunting (along with the smell sensors). Black or dark color things warms up faster under the sun, and stays warm longer...

Edited by Alex (06/27/07 01:08 AM)

#98621 - 06/28/07 03:00 AM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: wildman800]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Here in South Lousy-anna, the beer we drink and the Cayenne pepper that we consume make our sweat unappetizng to the Lousy-anna State Bird - the MOSQUITO

I think all people are different...

I know my father and I are rarely bitten and if we are we don't notice it for a day or so. While on the other hand the woman get HUGE bumps and are itching like crazy that night.

#98627 - 06/28/07 04:26 AM Re: Best mosquito repellent [Re: Todd W]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Me too, I rarely get bitten even without repellent, and when I do it's completely gone (the bump) in hours. For mosquitos that is. Undesirable body chemistry??

I guess the biggest problem I have with repellent is it removes paint from my gear and melts some synthetic fabrics and permanently stains others. OTOH, I have caught serious diseases in Africa from mosquitos. All it takes is one bug bite. Some can stay in your body for years and manifest when you're weak from something else. Some of those diseases or similar are migrating to here. So I'm doing the repellent thing again, trying to stay with the more modern formulations around 30% DEET that are slow release. From what I've read, many of the more sophisticated ~30% formulations are similar in effectiveness to the old 100% DEET styles. But I carry the old 100% DEET (AFAIK now "illegal" to sell in Canada) JIC it gets serious. Or I become attractive...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.