The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97926 - 06/20/07 10:54 AM Man gets fired for doing good deed
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Just ran across this news article about a man who was fired from his job at an apartment complex after grabbing his gun and running to help an injured neighbor. The complex where he lives is owned by his employers, for whom he leases property for from another location. The reason they give for his dismissal was that he "demonstrated extremely poor judgment in responding to this situation" & his "failure to immediately report the incident could have serious ramifications to the property, its associates and residents." I was wondering, how many of you guys would've done the same thing? I know I would've...

#97929 - 06/20/07 12:36 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Themalemutekid]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
the guy did the good thing and get's fired for it...unbelievable!

To bad that his employers weren't the ones that got shot, then they wouldn't ***** about it if he would have helped them...

Quote:
Bruley said he is considering contacting a lawyer about his dismissal, but will first look for another job and possibly another home. He promises he won't shy away from aiding others in need.

"If I'd lose my job again for helping some girl's life ... I'd do it over and over," Bruley said.

There's a smart man.

#97931 - 06/20/07 01:40 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Themalemutekid]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Five will get you ten the "failure to report incident to supervisor" issue is just a smokescreen. The employers are obviously of the opinion that gun owner = dangerous nut case. It's a common prejudice, and like most prejudices, based on ignorance and/or misinformation. Had he NOT armed himself before investigating, and just rendered the emergency aid, the employers very likely would have commended him.

Frank2135

#97949 - 06/20/07 03:53 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: NightHiker]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

It's always possible that they wanted to get rid of him anyway, and this incident provided the pretext.

I hope he wins his lawsuit. He'd have a good chance if I were on the jury.

#97975 - 06/20/07 08:28 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: norad45]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
IMO, he did the right thing. He heard screaming and gunshots and ran towards it. Thats what I call bravery. Think about it, those gunshots coulda been from anything. He didn't know if it was some nut like in the VT shootings or if it was some sorta terrorist attack. By grabbing his firearm, he prepared himself for whatever danger he or anyone else in the area was in. If this guy or someone like him was @ the VT shootings, I feel that it wouldn't of gone so far...I also hope that he wins his lawsuit.

#97992 - 06/20/07 11:57 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Themalemutekid]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
One really good reason to not live in a building your employer owns; you are always at work and perhaps under your employers stupid policies in your own home.
I wonder how this hashes out legal wise? Did he forfeit his personal rights because he lived in his employer's building?
What about basic rights in your own place of resisdence rergardless of who owns the property?

He definitely did the right thing. You don't run towards gunfire unless you have a gun; even then maybe run the other way. He was a hero.

#97997 - 06/21/07 12:57 AM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Themalemutekid]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I think people are confusing his good deed of coming to the rescue of a neighbour and his "poor judgement" about brandishing a firearm. From the article it does not state or even suggest that the employer was firing him for his good deed but rather for the way he did it.

One might suggest that running out with a firearm was the only smart thing to do - going into a rescue situation where a shot had already been fired, take along some protection. But hey, isn't that part of the duty of the cops when they come to the aide?

Although it didn't mention it - the absolute first thing the guy should have done once he heard the gunfire and scream was to report the incident, call 911, even before investigating further.

Look at it from the cop's point of view - they arrive to a scene where they've been told that there was violence and gunfire and there behold is a guy with a shotgun. The cops would be on him in an instant, bagged and tagged and handcuffed the "good deeder" if he was lucky; shot dead in a mistaken identity if he was unlucky. Think again, did he really display good judgement?

Now from the employer's POV, they specifically had a rule regarding brandishing weapons and they were ticked that he didn't inform them properly in due course of the incident. Both legit reasons for canning the guy. Yes, from their POV, he did exercise poor judgement and in their opinion they felt justified in firing him.

My opinion is not necessarily the above. Selflessly going to help someone else in society should not be looked down upon, the intentions were great, the fulfillment of the actions were questionable.

#98008 - 06/21/07 02:29 AM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Roarmeister]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Echo that. All of it, right down not agreeing with the logic path used in his dismissal.

If I was him, I might seek damages on the grounds of loss of livelihood (and possibly shelter) and cross my fingers.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98011 - 06/21/07 02:38 AM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Roarmeister]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
isn't that part of the duty of the cops when they come to the aide

This supposes that they are nearby and not 5+ minutes away working a traffic stop or wreck and that's if its inside the city limits. It gets even worse if its one of the places in the county with city limits on three sides and the county line is the fourth.

Quote:
they arrive to a scene . . . bagged and tagged and handcuffed

Showing up what sounds like more than a couple minutes after the shooting where people are obviously rendering aid to the victim would seem to require a bit more investigation.

Quote:
brandishing weapons

Yes in the work place. Unless the guy was working the hootowl shift, he has a good case for arguing that he was not at work since he also lives there and it was 2am.

Quote:
they were ticked that he didn't inform them properly in due course of the incident

Like they were going to accomplish what at 2am? confused I'll agree that he should have notified them when they first got in the next morning & they shouldn't have had to call him to the office.

#98058 - 06/21/07 01:59 PM Re: Man gets fired for doing good deed [Re: Roarmeister]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I think people are confusing his good deed of coming to the rescue of a neighbour and his "poor judgement" about brandishing a firearm. From the article it does not state or even suggest that the employer was firing him for his good deed but rather for the way he did it.

Not really. Merriam Websters online defines "brandish" as:

1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

I don't see where he "brandished" anything. Admittedly, a shotgun is not the most inconspicuous weapon around. I guess he should have hidden it under a long black trenchcoat. grin

Seriously, from the article it appears that he could have been fired for carrying any weapon--including the knife he presumably used to cut the tournequet. IMO his boss is a bit of a jackass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.