Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97913 - 06/20/07 03:45 AM Minnesota get's it!
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The state of Minnesota has a newish website I learned about in another forum. codeready.org

Looks good. Not great, but it is probably the best I've seen to date by a state or federal agency. They also have a generator for shopping lists based on your household population and duration. Nothing on rolling gear, but most people bug in anyway.

And there is a joke- IIRC, isn't Minnesota the "North Star State"? Other states should follow.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97922 - 06/20/07 06:02 AM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

"bug in" is right..as a local i can't think of a single
reason why i would have to leave my home with a bag of
gear and "bug out"..we have lots of forests but not the
fires they have out west..floods are very local and in
low farm country..no storms that call for citys to be abandon
like on the coasts down south..local power cuts from summer
storms and the odd power loss in winter get fixed fairly fast.
heavy winter storms just means a trip to the store for bread
and milk and then a wait for the clearing up after.about
all i have on my list is a small generator to run the fan
in the gas furnace..no earthquakes,a nice solid state..

#97933 - 06/20/07 01:48 PM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: ironraven]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I wanted to look at their kits, but the site asks your name and address FIRST (BEFORE showing you any kits) !!! mad

Why dont they just list what kits and items they have and let people choose or browse freely ???

#97934 - 06/20/07 01:50 PM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: Chisel]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Chisel
I wanted to look at their kits, but the site asks your name and address FIRST (BEFORE showing you any kits) !!! mad

Why dont they just list what kits and items they have and let people choose or browse freely ???

There's nothing stopping you from revealing to them that you are Homer J. Simpson from 123 Evergreen Terrace in Springfield... smile

Lots of online sites have the strange notion that my zip code is 90210...

#97939 - 06/20/07 02:16 PM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Glock. I needed that.

I really dont know why they design their sites like this. Many would be buyers will just go away, me included !!

They remind me of a company that sells water purification systems. Instead of telling you that system A produces x gallons and costs whatever, they ask you : how many kids you have, when can we visit you to to test your well water ..etc. I dont want anyone counting may family members and testing my well water, I want a short direct answer only.

I will write "Chisel" as my name and see what happens.

EDIT:
It worked grin
They seem to ask for the name(s) to include in the plan or kit listing. Their listings are good too.

Edited by Chisel (06/20/07 02:46 PM)

#97987 - 06/20/07 11:37 PM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A friend of mine puts a lot of stuff in her dog's name. Even her phone number is in his name. He gets lots of loan and credit applications.

Sue

#98018 - 06/21/07 02:56 AM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: Susan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah those websites are annoying. I was attempting to do the on-line ASVAB test once at http://www.military.com/ASVAB (just curious and a little bit drunk) and it wanted all your details before allowing anyone to start the test. Name, address and contact phone number etc. I think George W Bush did pretty well that day getting around 90 on the score. Some of the questions were pretty tough though. Hmm, do you think the recruiting officer got through past the Whitehouse Switch Board Number later that day because some time later (a few weeks) it wouldn't allow me to log back in to repeat the tests (was hoping to do better without the beer).

Edited by bentirran (06/21/07 03:13 AM)

#98019 - 06/21/07 02:57 AM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Homer J. Simpson from 123 Evergreen Terrace in Springfield... smile

Wait a second, I thought I lived at 123 Evergreen in Springfield... Oh, wait, it's a poste de resturant. :P

I do agree Chisel, I thought that was basically pointless, but asking for a town or zip does have a function. It's "marketting", as in selling the concept to those towns who's people just aren't getting it. But it is still a LOT better than anything else I've seen from any federal, state or provincial government agency in the US and Canada for those of us south of 60N.

Edited by ironraven (06/21/07 02:57 AM)
Edit Reason: can't type

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98021 - 06/21/07 02:59 AM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: Chisel]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

There is a reason to ask how many kids you have with water systems- determining the load. 90% of people don't know how many gallons per day they use, much less per hour, only per month if they get municipal water. And if you are on a well or spring, at most it is just lumped into your electric bill.

#98029 - 06/21/07 03:37 AM Re: Minnesota get's it! [Re: ironraven]
raider502 Offline

I actually think that is a pretty good site, compared to some others I have seen. Some people are to lazy to sit down and work out their own plan maybe this will help them if most of the work is done for them. For some it will give them a building block.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.