Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97776 - 06/18/07 04:32 PM Need Help (traveling overseas)
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Hi All:
My oldest son is going to Sweden whith his band and will be on a three week tour of Europe. smile

I am making him a kit to take with him, but I have no Idea what is allowed over there. Would some of the members of this forum that live across the pond give me a hand.?

seeing as he is going to have to fly, what restrictions will he have for an international flight.?

One he get to Europe, what restrictions will be placed on the kit there.? confused

#97790 - 06/18/07 06:28 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: big_al]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I don't think the restrictions in Europe differ much from the US ones...

#97794 - 06/18/07 06:39 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: JIM]
big_al Offline
Addict

Can there be a knife in the kit??

#97795 - 06/18/07 06:45 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: JIM]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Here is some info:

http://www.aerosvit.ua/eng/infox/security/6743.html

You can google country by country: "[country] airline security regulations". Here is the one for Sweden: http://www.skavsta-air.se/en/content.asp?area=2&id=182

JIM is probably right.

Sue

#97798 - 06/18/07 07:08 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: Susan]
Xterior Offline

Knife laws vary across different countries in Europe. Some countries, you need a verry good reason to carry a locking folder.

So, what countries do they visit ? (Uk and Belgium do have got some strict absurd laws).

#97799 - 06/18/07 07:19 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: Xterior]
big_al Offline
Addict

Xterior:
As of yet there is no Itinerary, All that sead was Europe. I know thats a big place, and takes in a lot of countrys, but thats all I have.

To all of you,
Thank you. I will look further in to the TSA requirements for the U.S. The knife and fire starters is my main concern.

#97800 - 06/18/07 07:41 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: big_al]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
Knife laws vary across different countries in Europe. Some countries, you need a verry good reason to carry a locking folder.

If he's going to some of those places, it's probably better to include a multi-tool instead of a knife. (makes more sence and raises less eyebrows in a urban enviroment)

In some parts of The Netherlands (if he's going there) like some places in Amsterdam, you can't carry knifes or multi-tools at all.

My advice: ask what his exact travelling-route is, try to find as much info as you can and pack accordingly. But you probably figured that out yourself smirk

#97801 - 06/18/07 07:52 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: big_al]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Pocket knives - like the Swiss Army models - are usually OK. A lot of European countries have restrictions on locking blades. If it were me, I'd buy a good pocket knife once I got over there rather than deal with the hassle of checking it through in my luggage.

For airplane travel, IMHO you want to steer clear of flammables like Esbit tabs, so perhaps just a couple of bic-type lighters would be best. They will not attract any attention. Forget any military-type gear. The airport folks are on terrorist watch, remember.

It's been almost 10 years, but the last time I was in Germany hiking and camping were very popular, and good gear was available just about everywhere. I'm guessing Sweden would not be much different. A water bottle, filter straw, camping cup, a couple of bic lighters or a firesteel, a (non-military) poncho, some cord*, a Swiss Army knife, eating utensils, a couple of space bankets, a compass, a whistle, a small FAK (no prescription meds) are all worth considering, but I bet they're all available over there.

* if paracord looks too "military," try throwing in four or five packs of replacement boot laces in the 72-inch lengths. They look very domestic and they're strong as all get out.

#97802 - 06/18/07 08:24 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: Frank2135]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well what are they doing in europe? Going with his band, generally sounds like a city trip, rather than a wilderness trip. Also no tornado's, little to no earthquackes and stuff. So no reason to load him with "camping" gear, if he isn't camping.

A simple SAK should do the trick, in opening the bear bottles, cutting food/packages and getting there peanutbutter on there breads.

Lighters are availible just about everywhere, same story with pretty much everything that is easily availible in the US. We are not the third world.

oh yeah, if he's like many teenage tourist that like to make fun of others and insult people for fun, remind him that we understand him, before he meets someone that will do it for you.

#97803 - 06/18/07 08:50 PM Re: Need Help (traveling overseas) [Re: Tjin]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Point very well taken. It is good to remember one is a guest in another country, and act as one would if a guest in someone else's home: say please and thank you, don't be too loud, clean up after yourself, and keep your feet off the furniture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.