Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#94751 - 05/16/07 12:52 AM If you can pick any folder, what would it be?
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada

If cost wasn't a factor, what would you pick for a folder?

Personally, I am looking for a 3" folder and have been reading lots of reviews (and posts here), pretty much getting as much info as I can. It will be an EDC for me, for work and play.

Any info is helpful.

Kris

#94753 - 05/16/07 01:02 AM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: Kris]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I'm easy, A Alox Farmer Swiss Army Knife. Strong tools, nice saw, and a reasonable but somewhat soft blade. I EDC one urban and woods.

#94762 - 05/16/07 03:28 AM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: Kris]
FRERAD1776 Offline

I EDC Doug Ritter's Mk I folder. It has handled every task I've used it for.
I don't leave home without it.

#94766 - 05/16/07 04:04 AM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: FRERAD1776]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
You should go out to a good knife shop, and try out as many knives as you can.I like to handle a knife before I buy it.You have to buy what feels right to your hands based on weight & size. Then you can talk to someone that works at the knife shop & ask about different blade & handle materials, as well as blade shapes.Then you gotta think about what you're gonna be doing with the blade, are you gonna do some prying or rope cutting..etc. Then you can pick the right knife for your needs. Mostly pick a knife that feels good in your hands. When you find the right knife you'll know it & by all means have fun, knife shopping is one of lifes simple pleasures...well atleast for me it is smile

#94780 - 05/16/07 06:11 AM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: Themalemutekid]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Other things to keep in mind: decide beforehand just how much you're ready to spend on a folder. Could be $20 or $200, but be realistic in your expectations and never buy junk, you'll only regret it later. Look for a quality steel. Stainless is the most practical for EDC. 440C or 12C27 is ok, AUS-8, CPM-S30V, 154CM, VG-10 is better. This assumes that the steel is heat treated correctly (shouldn't be a problem with any reputable brand) and hardened to at least 57HRc. Blade shape depends on what you're going to use your knife for (drop point is the best choice overall for an all-purpose knife, clip point makes a sharper tip). The lock should be absolutely secure, strong enough but still reasonably easy to operate. Lockback or liner lock doesn't really matter but if the latter, make sure the knife has solid enough grip scales that the liner lock won't disengage accidentally.

Depending on your daily habits, figure out how you're going to carry it. In the pocket, belt sheath etc. Would you prefer a pocket clip or not? If yes, does the knife come with an adjustable clip that allows a particular configuration that you're most comfortable with (tip up, tip down, left/right handed)? Most better folders these days can be opened with one hand. Thumb hole or stud is up to you. The handle should be checkered, grooved or otherwise shaped to allow a firm grip. Lastly, though a beefy folder is potentially stronger and more durable make sure it isn't too bulky for you in EDC. Good luck!

#94785 - 05/16/07 10:54 AM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: Kris]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
The Leatherman e300 or e301

#94790 - 05/16/07 12:23 PM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: JIM]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
This might be cheating a little, but the Leatherman Wave I have is probably my first choice. The blades do lock, but more importantly, it is a true multi tasker, which puts it at the top of my list, and having seen a guy field dress an elk with his, I know it will do all that I would need of a folder.

However, if it were a dedicated folder, and price were no object, then the illusive Busse folder would be my knife of choice.

Since that knife is not available as yet, the Ritter MK4 is probably the goto knife for the money.

The KA-BAR desert Mule that I currently EDC is probably the best value for money for a dedicated folder with the qualities I am looking for.

#94792 - 05/16/07 12:32 PM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: JIM]
Kris Offline
Addict

Currently I EDC a CRKT KISS folder when they first came out. I've been carrying that ever since. All through out my life i've been carrying something, SAK's, basic knifes, etc.

I also have a leatherman e307x in my bag. I really don't like that knife for EDC. Big and bulky (yes i know theres a bit driver and carabiner in there), but over all I get the feeling that its cheaply made. I just won't rely on it.

Since I work in cube land in a corporate environment, pocket carry is more desirable. I do like having a pocket clip and makes for deployment much better.

Knife shops in my neck of the woods are hard to come by. Either shop online or fly to the states are my options. Having said that, a trip to Miami is coming up soon. Any good knife shops there?

#94793 - 05/16/07 12:37 PM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: Kris]
Kris Offline
Addict

Benjammin,

Do you have any details on the Busse folder?"

Kris

#94795 - 05/16/07 12:45 PM Re: If you can pick any folder, what would it be? [Re: Kris]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not yet, other than there are an awful lot of people waiting for the Busse shop to make one. They keep hinting that one is coming, eventually.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 399 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.