Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#97578 - 06/15/07 01:38 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I used to have one of them filter thingies that sat atop my mug, till one day when it tipped my mug while I was pouring water into it and the splash went into my wife's lap. Then it went into the fire ring right quick. I blame it on the lousy picnic table, the fact that I was handling hot water BEFORE getting my caffiene dose, and Murphy taking a seat right next to the wife and bumping my arm or something just as I was pouring. Looking back, OBG's thermos idea might've saved the day.

Depending on the crowd at camp, I use a coffee boiler with one of them old tobacco bags loaded with grounds. None ever escape, and the cleanup is a cinch. Actually, the bags are little mineral sample bags that are much the same as the old plug cut tobacco containers Grandad used for his coffee making afield.

I've tried using them filter encapsulated Maxwell House things. Not a bad idea, except for the coffee inside was worthless. Same went for them Folgers single serving teabag types. Lousy coffee mixed with a good idea still equals a lousy cup of coffee.

Then I came across a teabag type arrangement from a company down in Oz called Robert Timms. They actually had a couple different offerings for a "gourmet" type coffee, my favorite being an italian roast blend. I later found out that the teabag contained a combination of fairly good quality dark roast grounds and a bit of good quality instant expresso. Needless to say, I became quite a fan. Not only was it a vast improvement over the instant offerings most of the Aussies seemed to favor, but it was well packaged and not too expensive.

Sadly, Robert Timms does not export to the US. As you can imagine, I managed to smuggle a good supply of the little baggies back home here with me, to be included in any future camping/backpacking trips and such. No need to waste them here in town when I've literally got a Stabuck's on every block around me, and we have office coffee free for the taking. Just in case, I have contacts back in Oz that will ship me more anytime I feel the need.

I will still use my coffee boiler and tobacoo bags at camp if I have more than two coffee drinkers, me included. I will, however, always keep a handful of these Timms bags in my EDC/BOB/grub box, for those times when I need a convenient cup or two. They will sit right next to my Lipton Black tea bags, of course.

#97582 - 06/15/07 02:21 PM Re: Coffee [Re: benjammin]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: benjammin
..........I've tried using them filter encapsulated Maxwell House things. Not a bad idea, except for the coffee inside was worthless. Same went for them Folgers single serving teabag types. Lousy coffee mixed with a good idea still equals a lousy cup of coffee. ...............

That's what I carry when I don;t want the weight or the hassle....Folgers coffee bags. I admit, they're not joe out of the coffeepot at home, but when I know what's coming, it doesn;t surprise me and I like it! Same with instant. As long as I know I'm mixing up some instant, I'm prepared for the "shock". laugh

#97588 - 06/15/07 03:38 PM Re: Coffee [Re: Stretch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, that's what I like about them Robert Timms bags. Same exact setup, only containing something worth tasting. You know, I don't understand why that ain't caught on more here in the states. Seems most tea companies sell teabags as a mainstay, why not coffee? Obviously it can be done, and you'd think there'd be a market for it. Having only one choice (Folgers) is just not a reasonable option.

#97589 - 06/15/07 03:41 PM Re: Coffee [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, and sometimes the ulcer demands I cut my coffee with something to soothe the savage beast.

Hmm, anyone ever put egg in their coffee?

#97612 - 06/15/07 08:56 PM Re: Coffee [Re: benjammin]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Yep, and sometimes the ulcer demands I cut my coffee with something to soothe the savage beast.

Hmm, anyone ever put egg in their coffee?

My grandmother used to put egg shells in the pot

#97614 - 06/15/07 09:12 PM Re: Coffee [Re: raydarkhorse]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Some sailors have been known to put a raw egg in their Capt's coffee, as a joke!!

#97651 - 06/16/07 04:27 AM Re: Coffee [Re: wildman800]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I've heard of the eggshells, but not egg in coffee. Interesting. We eat eggs and drink coffee. Egg in coffee.

#97675 - 06/16/07 10:05 PM Re: Coffee [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I prefer instant coffee too, which is convenient. My problem is that I like it made with 50% milk (and sugar - I usually keep very quiet when I'm around real coffee drinkers) and I've yet to find a powdered alternative I like. When I'm car-camping I take a vacuum flask of milk. If I have to carry it I drink oxo-cubes instead.

I've recently come across the "cappuccino" packets. I find the Nescafe brand is drinkable in a pinch so I'll try carrying that this summer. (I've also tried a cheap Asda version but it tasted a bit chemical.)

#97830 - 06/19/07 07:59 AM Re: Coffee [Re: Brangdon]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
For me it's one of those lexan French presses in camp smile & instant sick when backpacking/climbing/etc. Between the issues of space/weight & disposal of the grounds instant coffee is far more convenient when not in camp.

#97855 - 06/19/07 05:40 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I have been using the Big Sky Bistro French Press/Travel Mug with great luck for over a year. It is very easy to use: pour coffee, pour hot water, press and drink.

I have also taken a metal cup, heated water, poked my neckerchief in the water, added coffee and pulled out the neckerchief and drank the coffee. It was surprisingly good. Cleaning off the neckerchief is a little messy.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.