The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97360 - 06/13/07 02:40 PM New EDC bag
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I'm looking at getting a new bag that I can carry everyday. My current one is an old oakly backpack that's seen better days.

I work in cubeland, and lately getting away with dockers and a shirt with no tie (big deal here). So its a semi professional environment (sp?). I need something that is non military looking, but functional and tough.

I am thinking about this one, a gear slinger (in black) from maxped: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=11.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the bag? Can you fit a laptop in it? Quality of the bag? If I get it in black, in person does it look like a normal bag and not 'military' looking?

Thanks in advance,
Kris

#97367 - 06/13/07 03:18 PM Re: New EDC bag [Re: Kris]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I recently got a Camelbak Alpine Explorer and am very happy with it. I haven't tried to stuff my laptop into it, but it has a lot of room, so I suspect that most laptops would fit. Mine is in black (e-bay you know), but it comes in several other colors, none of which look military. And the Camelbak tag just has a civi look to it...

#97393 - 06/13/07 07:38 PM Re: New EDC bag [Re: NightHiker]
Kris Offline
Addict

Thanks all for your input.

I was leaning towards a messenger style bag lately, mainly because everyone has one. Great camouflage right there. The gear slinger in black, kind of looks like other civilian sling bags so it won't stick out.

Besides, it looks like its built strong, has a few pockets that you can stash stuff, etc. The biggest question is, will it carry a laptop, and will it carry a laptop in a protective sleeve?

Just need to find something that won't look out of place in the office.

Anyways, i'm on the look out for a new bag.... Any ideas, just holler! I do like OBG's suggestion, and will look into it.

Thanks!
Kris

#97394 - 06/13/07 07:55 PM Re: New EDC bag [Re: Kris]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
For 3 years now, I have EDCed a Maxpedition CONDOR backpack and my IBM Thinkpad fits just right in it (with a one inch piece of styrofoam (?) in the bottom of the pack to somehow protect the computer).
The CONDOR backpack doesn't show the slightest sign of wear up to now.

#97404 - 06/13/07 09:33 PM Re: New EDC bag [Re: frenchy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have the Condor too, great bag but even with civilian camo it looks military. The link above didn't work for me but if you're looking at the Tactical Attache, it still looks military to me, even in black.

The material these are made from is heavy cordura. They are great bags for holding and protecting stuff, but they look like what they are. I really like the looks of the Camelbak Alpine Explorer.

#97405 - 06/13/07 10:01 PM Re: New EDC bag [Re: Russ]
FRERAD1776 Offline

Might look at a Lands End Attache. Lots of room and at home in a business.

#97433 - 06/14/07 06:25 AM Re: New EDC bag [Re: FRERAD1776]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
You may want to try a True North Gear pack model: Serac or a Weatherproof Firefly. (http://www.truenorthgear.com/product_listing.php?path=0_1)

Both packs have a roll top water/weather barrier that has always kept my 15 inch laptop dry even in rainstorms on my bike. This pack rides on your hips instead of your shoulders and has a fun urban/hip appeal to it. They make red and yellow for firefighters and search and rescue...but black looks good and inconspicuous.

The biggest problem with messenger bag styles for me was how it carries weight. After a 5 lb laptop and a 2 lb survival kit those "one shoulder" bags always left me lopsided...especially on a bike ;^).

Good luck.

#97475 - 06/14/07 06:20 PM Re: New EDC bag [Re: Loganenator]
Kris Offline
Addict

Logan,

Thanks for that link. I'm thinking that taking a bag like that into the office, and people will start to think i'm on a SAR team or something!!!

I need something a little more generic...

FRERAD1776,
Thats getting there, but alittle too much like a briefcase then a bag (either sling, messenger or backpack).

Thanks for your comments,
Kris

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.