Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9734 - 10/04/02 04:04 PM China in March anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're likely to be there this March to adopt our daughter. I've traveled a fair amount, but never anyplace this different. <br><br>We'll have a fair supply of meds for the baby in anticipation of health issues. I also was going to bring a hot pot, water filter/purification chemicals, vitamins and emergency blanket/bivy. We'll have our best outdoor clothing too. We'll have a little Grundig for entertainment and news. <br><br>The trip should last less then two weeks, three at the outside. The process requires adoptive parents to carry over $3,000 in cash, so I'm a little concerned about personal security.<br><br>Any thoughts?<br><br>Adam

#9735 - 10/05/02 01:33 AM Re: China in March anyone?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our forum member Oliver (win) lives in Hong Kong. Perhaps he can best advise you. Are y0ou going to Mainland ( People's Republic) or Taiwan/Formosa ( Nationalist)? If it was Los Angeles or San Francisco Chinatown I could help ;O)

#9736 - 10/05/02 04:13 AM Re: China in March anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Adam:<br><br>I have friends that have been through this in Latin America.<br><br>I really hope you are working with an agency that does this on a regular basis. They should have tips and instructions for you. Also, they should have an in country agent (usually an attorney) who you should look to for direction. <br><br>As for safety, don't take the child out in public with you if at all possible. Some locals may have issues with you taking him or her out of the country. <br><br>For my friends, the biggest problems they had were intermittent electricity and US immigrations. The rest of the process was well run by the agency they used.<br><br>Chris

Edited by cthompson001 (10/05/02 04:14 AM)

#9737 - 10/05/02 12:53 PM Re: China in March anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My experience in China is somewhat dated (a month long trip nine years ago in a southern province), but here goes...<br><br>Just where are you going? There are huge differences between Beijing and the provinces, large cities vs. rural, etc. We visited a very pleasant village and were told that we were the first Euro types in the region since WWII. Big cities are quite different.<br><br>Water purification is quite interesting. At least then, potable water was prepared by boiling and retained in large vacuum bottles - this was true even in Hong Kong in a western style hotel. My experience on this trip is one reason I am such a fan of boiling water as a means of purification. We were a group of twelve, in country for a month, and no cases of intestinal upset. For one four day stay our water supply was an open irrigation ditch. I wouldn't count on Potable Aqua and other wussy modalities to stand up to the stuff you will find there.<br><br>I recall fairly cold temperatures (We were there in March). Heating was coal stoves and it was better to wear warm clothing than suffer the pollution put out by the stoves. <br><br>Overall, great place, great people. Learn some basic phrases (remember, language difference between north and south), be as cautious as you would be traveling anywhere, and enjoy the area and the experience. You certainly have the best of reasons for making the trip.<br><br>Oh yes, at least in the rural areas (then) toilet paper was a nonexistant luxury. Probably not so now in urbanized areas now. I would still pack a roll or two, but that is a standard travel precaution.

#9738 - 10/07/02 12:33 PM Re: China in March anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. We really won't know where we are going until we get the referral of our child. That will hopefully come by January. Our paperwork has been finished for almost a year now, but that is the ordinary time frame.<br><br>We are using a well established agency, and I tried to use all my paranoid lawyer skills to research them. We are in good hands. I am planning on cold, and water issues. I also want to bring a little Grundig with me for news. <br><br>Thanks for the thoughts.<br><br>Adam

#9739 - 10/23/02 02:28 PM Re: China in March anyone?
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
take a tour to see the site's and a good way to do a recon.If your in Bejing and have to go to the" head" try to use a hotel or "the Big Mac"thier usualy very clean,if not be prepared to pay for the use of toilet and to squat over a hole.Don't put anything on the floor. Get a shoulder bag to carry your paper work and water ,hand sanitizer and lot's of napkins, it 'll blend in better than a backpack.Weather wise think New York in March

Edited by akabu (10/23/02 02:39 PM)

#9740 - 10/23/02 02:50 PM Re: China in March anyone?
akabu Offline
Journeyman

This a bag similar to mine which has traveled all over the world and is sill 'alive " http://www.performancebike/shop/Profile.ht Messenger Bag item# 20-1307B it blends in city and rural areas .It expands to put more gear if needed and has waist strap to stabilize it,you don't have to take it off to get your gear , swing it around front

#9741 - 10/23/02 05:21 PM Re: China in March anyone?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Is this the bag you suggest?

#9742 - 10/23/02 08:36 PM Re: China in March anyone?
akabu Offline
Journeyman

yes, that's the one TG.But any bag thats tough and has a strap to go around the waist and low profile.I just checked Campmor.com and they have lots of travelbags.Look for one that can expand or be compressed. Business cards should be taken and handed with both hands.If your tall/big take extra under wear/clothes as you may not find anything that fit's.Check amazon.com-travel-china for books on Mandarin Chinese. I'am not home right now but I'll check some of my book's for a title that my be of use.

#9743 - 10/24/02 04:32 AM Re: China in March anyone?
akabu Offline
Journeyman

For GB here are some book title's and other info that I have found useful :Language: Mandarin Phrasebook-Cris Talyor ISBN 0-866442-344-6 . http://www.transparentlanguage.com..Culture: Thick face,Black Heart , The Asian Mind Game- Ching-Ning Chu. http://www.chinastrategies.com .For New's http://www.straitstimes.com. Meds.:Wilderness and Travel Medicine-Eric a.Weiss,M.D. ISBN 0-9659768-0-7 ,all the books can be found at Amazon .com.Go to refdesk .com to find Travel Med.Doc. some of the shots have to be started soon,also check the CIA link for China Info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.