The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#97078 - 06/09/07 03:45 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

For me, I've found that a Patagonia expedition weight Capilene top is one of the best bang-for-the-buck when I don't have that much space. That said, I'd also carry headgear and at least some lightweight gloves. For me it's a given I'll be wearing wool socks.

FWIW, I pack an Outdoor Research (OR) Ice-9 Helmet Liner if I really want to be slimmed down. It folds flat, puts fleece on my whole head including ears and will fit under my rain hat. It's not very stylish, but good bang-for-the-buck when you want to slim down.

-john

#97082 - 06/09/07 05:02 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
What is Dachstein, is it just the name of a model from the Mammut company that are available at campmor?

I've heard that the warmest knitted mitts are those made from buffalo wool but are not easy to find and that duffel wool is warmer than knitted mitts. But these Dachstein mitts are boiled wool and pre shrunk, which makes them more dense and resembling wool felt or duffle but are still knitted mitts. Is this correct?

#97083 - 06/09/07 05:38 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Schwert]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks Schwert, as I'm always looking for cold weather dressing improvement, I decided to investigate more about these famous Ullfrotte underwear. I found the woolpower products available in Canada from www.gransfors.ca I downloaded and will read their primer on dressing for the cold at http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/kladigratt_1.asp

But the idea of mail ordering long johns makes me hesitant because these items should be form fitting without any gap and non restricting at the same time and be long enough also.

#97085 - 06/09/07 08:44 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Frankie]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Common mistake: Only your WICKING layer (if worn) should be CLOSE fitting. EVERYTHING else should be as LOOSE fitting as is practical.

Reason: It is the air trapped by your clothing that keeps you warm. Not the clothing itself.

#97133 - 06/10/07 06:16 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Craig_phx]
Slainte Offline
stranger

Wool is the answer, works even when wet.
I lived in Prescott for 15 years and am now up in Western Montana. I carry Ibex wool and a Golite raintop. If you're really worried a down coat in a stuff sack.

#97173 - 06/11/07 04:19 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Craig_phx]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: Craig_phx
Now that it is June and nice and hot here in Phoenix I thought it was time to think about when it is cold. Actually it still gets cold at night, in northern Arizona. My boys are going to Boy Scout Summer Camp, up north.

What do you folks that live in the cold recommend to carry in your day-pack to keep warm? A wool stocking cap is a given.

If you only carry one other item to stay warm what would it be? It seem that a long john undershirt might be good. Maybe a wool vest or hooded sweater.

Thanks!

Let me modify the question a little.

They're boys! They will not carry anything big, bulky or heavy for a day hike. They only have their CamelBak because it has easy to carry water.

The boys have a watch cap, a military style poncho and leather work gloves. So they have something to keep their head warm and a wind and rain layer. I am wondering what I could have them carry in their pack that would help keep them warm if they have to spend the night. They all have a medium size CamelBak backpack so it can't be too bulky. They are 15, 12 and 12 years old.

Thanks!

#97174 - 06/11/07 04:32 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Craig_phx]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
1. The liner for the military-style poncho - instant sleeping bag.
2. If it is something that needs to be worn, I would suggest a fleece jacket or pullover made of Polartec 200 or equivalent - light, warm, dries fast and insulates even when wet.

#97181 - 06/11/07 04:56 PM Re: Keeping warm [Re: 11BINF]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: 11BINF
craig i also live in Phx.Az. and go up on the rim to camp around august and september..when the sun starts to go down and it really cools off i put on my wooly hat,light poly-pro shirt with a warm fleece zip top..also i always wear wool socks on my feet along with good boots..i wear shorts all the time but i do'nt worry about cold legs as i can warm them around the campfire or if no campfire i get in my warm sleep sack..vince g. 11b inf...

11B INF

Thank your for your service sir! I was a 64C for seven year. I helped transport you guys.

You know what I am talking about! Around the Flagstaff area, in the summer, it is short sleeve weather during the day but after the sun goes down you will freeze your butt off if you don't have warm clothes. If you know you are only going on a hike, for a few hours, the boys are not going to carry bulky clothes.

Thanks!

#97340 - 06/13/07 05:59 AM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Craig_phx]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A poncho liner, sweatshirt or sweater without sleeves, and sweat pants?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97347 - 06/13/07 09:03 AM Re: Keeping warm [Re: Craig_phx]
LED Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Let me modify the question a little.

They're boys! They will not carry anything big, bulky or heavy for a day hike. They only have their CamelBak because it has easy to carry water.

The boys have a watch cap, a military style poncho and leather work gloves. So they have something to keep their head warm and a wind and rain layer. I am wondering what I could have them carry in their pack that would help keep them warm if they have to spend the night. They all have a medium size CamelBak backpack so it can't be too bulky. They are 15, 12 and 12 years old.
Thanks!

My most used piece of hiking, camping, (and casual use), clothing over the last 5 years has been a thin Marmot Reactor fleece pullover (100 weight). It also comes in a full zip version. I love the Marmot design for a few tried and true reasons. The thickness is just right (not too hot or bulky), the raised collar really does help with heat retention, and its very lightweight and durable. Here's a link showing the pullover and full zip.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/search2.asp?SearchResults.SearchHandle=A%3dMens+Fleece+Jackets+Clothing%7eB%3dMens+Fleece+Jackets+Clothing%7eD%3d9%7eE%3d1%5e1%5e2%5enum_Sort1%7eK%3d4%7eL%3d1%7eM%3d5%7e&SearchResults.SortAscending=True&SearchResults.SortBy=num_Sort1&Answer=934&s_id=0

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.