Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96704 - 06/06/07 04:00 AM Which Tramontina Machete?
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

My birthday is coming up, and I'm asking for a machete. The Tramontina sounds like the classic type that I see guys carrying around on some of the more modest Caribbean islands.

I really want an authentic knock-around machete, and the Tramontina with the wood handle seems to fit the bill, but it appears the longest blade length available with a wood handle is 18". Any idea what your typical Caribbean cane-cutting blade length is? Any particular models of Tramontina to recommend? Any places recommended to buy from?

The Tramontina site http://www.tramontina.com.br/product/product.aspx?language=1&cat_id=18&cat2=1&cat3=549 shows a whole bunch of machetes they make in all sorts of different blade styles. Pretty interesting. I figured a machete was a machete, but it looks like the choice is more complicated than I thought!

Thanks for any ideas!

Dave

#96710 - 06/06/07 04:31 AM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: bigmbogo]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can't help you with any of the Tramontina products, and what you want to do with a machete makes a difference. Do you plan on chopping your way thru triple canopy jungle, or just what to whack the occasional vine? I have a 12" machete that I brought back from Panama in the 60's that comes in handy for a variety of things, in fact it was what used to be billed as the H. Morgan Smith Worldwide Survival Tool. Good for a variety of things, great at none. You will have to decide first what you want to use a machete for, then decide what style/length will work best for you...

#96712 - 06/06/07 04:57 AM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

The main reasons I need a machete are...I want to intimidate my neighbors and confound my enemies, of course.

Seriously, it might come in handy for whacking through occasional thick underbrush, or in some unforseen bugout scenario, but basically I just think they're cool, after seeing them in the West Indies slung over the shoulders of the locals.

On a recent trip, at the curbside at one of these little airports, there was some sort of plywood kiosk or check-in stand- I think it had something to do with the security personel- and leaning inside it, not particularly concealed from view, was this big old machete. It just seemed like kind of a handy tool to have handy for a variety of situations.

Dave

#96713 - 06/06/07 04:57 AM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=112&A=

The 18" is long enough for most brush beating but my fav is the 14" Bolo machete it makes a good chopper and all purpose camp tool. With any Tramontina your gonna have to sharpen it yourself cause they dont come sharp so buy a mil bastard file and be prepared to work on it. I must ask what enviroment your intend to use it in, theres diffrent machetes that can handle diffrent chores. Trams are fine for grasses and vines and light brush but not the best at chopping on wood so alittle more info could help with suggestions.

#96714 - 06/06/07 05:09 AM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: Cyblade]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

ahh looks like I was answering while you were. Lets see theres the Cold Steel line http://www.coldsteel.com/machetes.html they have some intresting machetes theres the heavy duty Ontarios http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/prodlist.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=84&A= that work better on wood and are thicker than Trams or Cold Steel and then theres my personal favorite of all the machete types the Gerber Brush Thinner http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eComme...&SKU=G41061 it looks odd but the handle allows you to extend your reach and put some power into chopping it's light and comfortable to use even if it can't strike fear into the hearts of men although if you smacked someone with it I dont think they would be laughing.

#96718 - 06/06/07 06:12 AM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have a couple of old Tramontina 18" machetes. They work great, but are a little long for most outings. I don't usually plan on clearing a lot of bush when I am out so the 18"er is a little overkill. And it is a little thin.

I really like my Cold Steel LTC Kukri as the size is perfect on the side of a backpack. I was cutting wood today and I'll be darned that the LTC outchopped my Wetterlings 15" axe on dry hard Kiawe wood. Man, the wood is like steel when it is dried. I think the ax will probably split better, but then again, the LTC splits wood pretty darn well with a baton.

What I can't wait to get my hands on is the Bark River Golok that I have had on order for some time. I am hoping that they will be ready to be shipped within the month.

#96733 - 06/06/07 02:04 PM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: aloha]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
Tramontina's are $5-6. Pick one, try it, if you do not like it get a different size or another brand.

I prefer the Bolo, better on bushes and small branches, but it is not optimal for use on grasses.

#96734 - 06/06/07 02:24 PM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: aloha]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Any of the Tramontinas I've used end up with loose handles in time. They're cheap, the blades are okay, but a loose handle to me is unacceptable at any price, especially in a hard use tool.

For less than $20 in a classic machete, I would opt for either an Ontario field machete with Orange handle (17 3/4" blade), or a Cold Steel Magnum Khukri Machete. Okay, the Khukri isn't exactly classic machete style, but it is one darned good bushwhacker. Both are combat grade, as are many, many others.

#96770 - 06/06/07 05:37 PM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: NightHiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Also on the wood ones, drill a wrist loop hole through the bottom
of the handle and sling a short piece of parachute cord through
it for safety. When you get tired, it is easy to let go of the
handle, and you don't want it flying off at someone.

A file will be needed to sharpen it. The coarse serrations left
by it will help in the slicing motion of the tool. A grinding wheel
is useful for the first sharpening.

Use a pulling motion as you swing for efficiency.

#96777 - 06/06/07 07:25 PM Re: Which Tramontina Machete? [Re: clearwater]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Cyblade already posted a link to the Gerber brush thinner. I've had several machetes over the years and liked the Ontarios the best. Until I got the Gerber. Very, very nice. I've used it quite a bit and it will outwork everything else I've had 2 to 1. The odd hook to the blade does a good job of catching and cutting the smaller stuff that tends to glance off. It also, not exactly sure why, does not have the tendency to skip off harder or dried brush like most machetes. That makes it much safer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.