Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95204 - 05/21/07 05:58 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Thanks for all the feedback. I agree with the need for a sewing kit and will add a few sewing needles and saftey pins.

First Aid: I carry a separate FSK in my backpack but some aspirin and bandaids would be good for the PSK. Maybe some antibiotic cream, too.

Tinder: The PSK has a plastic, screw-top tube tube filled with Tinder-Quick tinder. The tube was in a box of freebies from ETS member ParamedicPete.

Compass: I don't remember the make/model. I think I also got them from ParamedicPete.

Aluminum foil/other water boiler: Not going to add any. I normally carry a large metal cup with me and if I were just lost it would be my water boiling container. If I loose the cup I have the MP-1 tablets in the PSK for water treatment. Most reports I hear about improvised aluminum boilers is they are flimsy and develop pin-holes even if made from disposible roasting trays.

Rain gear: I keep a military poncho in my backpack.

Super glue: It never seems to work on the materials I want glued (however it is great for gluing one's fingers to each other blush). I don't think I'll add it.

Ferronium rod: I'll probably add one someday if I can pick some up at a good price. I have a Blastmatch somewhere, but I can't find it.

Flexi-bottle: I have one and tried to make it fit but the hard plastic mouthpeice took up too much space. I'm still looking for something stronger than the Ziploc freezer bag. I'm thinking of trying to make something out of the line of a wine-box.

Small Sharpie permanent marker: Good idea! My company gave out free mini-Sharpie golf-ball markers. They fit in nicely.

Break-away connector on kneck-knife: I used one from a small Wirtz waterproof container. It takes a fair amount of force to pop it apart and it's never accidentaly parted on me.

Neon notecards for signalling: Interesting idea but I probably won't do it. Sorry.

Duct tape on coffee stirrer: The flatten roll of duct tape already fits in there nicely.

Coffee filter: I assume this is to pretreat water before chemical purification? Good idea, I add a few.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95207 - 05/21/07 07:33 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'd add some steel wire and a micro multitool (like LM Squirt with pliers) instead of safety pins and small knife. Pliers are like your fingers but far stronger, precise, and indifferent to any abuse smile You can improvise and repair a lot of things with a strong wire and pliers. Including electrical repairs (fuses, burnt out wires, broken plugs, etc). I'm also keeping a little neodymium magnet affixed to the wire. But that could break your compass.

Actually, I believe that any serious kit must address every item represented in the Doug's PSP - at least. His micro PSK is perfect in terms of supporting of every possible survival situation. It's safe to add something, not to remove (personally, I'd think twice to even substitute anything from it).

#95210 - 05/21/07 07:54 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Alex]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

The purpose of my kit is simply to hunker down and help me get found if I end up lost or injured without my backpack. It provides shelter, the ability to purify water, make fire and signal rescuers. The Squirt is a nice tool, but I feel it doesn't have bring enough value to the my PSK to add it. If I have some sort of gear that requires a pliers then I probably still have my LM Wave with me, too. Steel wire might be worthwhile, though.

The Ritter PSK is awesome and I've reccomended it to others. But I already had this stuff and my PSK has more sheltering ability than Doug's. On the downside, my kit isn't waterproof, but then most of the contents aren't harmed by water, either.

-Blast

*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95211 - 05/21/07 07:56 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: silent_weapon]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
PM me with your name and address and I will send some to you for free. Sometimes they do develop small bubbles in transit, but you should still find even these okay to use as a secondary compass.

Pete

#95241 - 05/22/07 02:21 AM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Blast

......Flexi-bottle: I have one and tried to make it fit but the hard plastic mouthpeice took up too much space. I'm still looking for something stronger than the Ziploc freezer bag. I'm thinking of trying to make something out of the line of a wine-box.....

-Blast

I agree. So I took a 1L platypus bottle and cut the screw top off so it will fold rather flat. No, you can't seal it, but it stands by itself is much more durable than any ziplock bag. And fold over the top and one of the black HD paper clip thingys and it is somewhat secure.

#95610 - 05/25/07 06:14 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Good kit. I'd add some first aid/ survival instructions (in case someone else has to use the kit), cash and personal info -- things like who the kit belongs to, emergency phone numbers, etc.

#95619 - 05/25/07 08:09 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
I like the Floss card, have to ask the wife about that. Well thought out kit.

Dave

#95622 - 05/25/07 09:00 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I gave the wine-box liner a try as a water carrier after reading your post.
The pluses: It seems very strong, and doesn't leak at all.
The minuses: a royal pain to clean out and re-fill. After several rinses, etc., the water still tastes a little like Merlot.
Not that that is an entirely bad thing....
Have a great holiday, everyone.

#95625 - 05/25/07 09:41 PM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Frank2135]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The minuses: a royal pain to clean out and re-fill. After several rinses, etc., the water still tastes a little like Merlot.

Let the bag sit overnight filled with a mixture of baking soda and water, then rinse 2-3 times with tap water. That got rid of the taste for me.

As for filling, did you yank out the spigot? On mine the black spigot popped out of the white plastic connection with just a little prying with a screwdriver.

-Blast

#96597 - 06/05/07 12:25 AM Re: My wilderness PSK [Re: Blast]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.